Meeting Minutes

University of Hawaii at Manoa
American Library Association, Student Chapter

Executive Committee

April 8, 2004

Hamilton Library

 

Attendees: Mona Kwon, Lillian Nicolich, Jenn Ogg, Mahate Osborn, Trent Reynolds, Lori Ann Saeki, Carole Suzui, Diane Todd, and Andrew Wertheimer.

Not Present:   Jan Kamiya

 

Opening:
Call to Order: 3:05 PM


Handouts:

§     Agenda

§     ALA-SC Constitution (Final Draft)

 

Proceedings:

 

The Executive Committee approved last month’s minutes.

 

Treasurer’s Report

Jenn Ogg reported the treasury balance as $427.62. 

 

The Committee also discussed the purchase of a flash drive to be used as an electronic archive and template storage. J. Ogg agreed to look into pricing and take care of the purchase.

 

Constitution Revision

The Committee unanimously approved the revision of the Constitution.  The Constitution must next be approved at the ALA-SC General Membership Meeting.

 

April Programming – Brown Bags

§     Dr. Andrew Wertheimer, “The Topaz Public Library, the WRA and Nisei Readers.” Monday, April 12 from 12:00-12:50, Room 4V.

§     Dr. Bob Schwarzwalder, “Valuing Information: Paradigms, Practices, and Pragmatics.” Thursday, April 22 from 12:00-12:45, Room 4V. *Sponsored by LIS WebTeam.  The Committee agreed to contributing $25.00 to the SLA/ASISC/Webteam towards refreshments at this event.

§     Dr. Nick Goetzfridt, “Making It Part of the Conversation: Cultural Values and Libraries in Micronesia”Tuesday, April 27 from 12:00-12:45, Room 4V.

 

ALA-SC Professional Service Award

§     Diane Todd explained that Dr. Vann declined the award to be named after her.  Instead, the Committee agreed to call the award the ALA-SC Professional Service Award.

§     Hui Dui agreed to the presentation of this award at this semester’s graduation dinner on May 8, 2004.

§     The Committee agreed to put $50.00 toward a plaque or other keepsake, and to pay for the recipient’s dinner.

 

ALA-SC Service Committee Project Proposals

Lillian Nicolich briefed that the projects will be selected by the Service Committee, once it is formed.  Criteria for project selection must be established.  Andrew Wertheimer advised that the Service Committee take special care in selecting the projects and the recipients.

 

ALA-SC Website Update (Jan’s notes)

D. Todd noted that Jan Kamiya has completed about 8-9 pages of the ALA-SC website, which is currently testing.  J. Kamiya is expected to have it live shortly.  D. Todd also noted that the ALA-SC email account is live.

 

Membership & GSO Update (Lillian)

L. Nicolich reported that membership is at 30 members to date.  In addition, the ad-hoc GSO Committee is still committed to be formed.

 

Blotter Newsletter Update (Lori Ann)

Lori Ann Saeki reported that the April edition was released.  The May issue is in progress.

 

Mug Fundraising Update (Trent)

Trent Reynolds reported that the mugs were ordered and is expected to arrive on May 1.

 

Officers Handbook

Each officer is to bring a one-page description of his or her position to the May meeting.

 

Summer Programming

Discussion deferred to the May meeting.

 

May Meeting

The May meeting was scheduled for May 6, 2004 at 3:30 PM.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 4:00 PM.

 

Minutes submitted by Secretary, Mona Kwon.