University of Hawaii at
American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs
February 7, 2006
POST 302 5:30pm
Attendees: Christine Cipolla, Christian
Delay, Margot Hanson, Anne Hillier, Lillian Nicolich, Loraine Oribio, Janel
Quirante, Annie Thomas, Victoria Vallejos, Andrew Wertheimer, Marta Wiggins
minutes from the Executive Board and Committee Chairs meeting on January 10,
2006 were approved by the Executive Officers. Lillian distributed Agenda, Event Log, Committee
Participation Sheet and Vann Award Information.
- There are 5 new members to be entered in database.
Treasurer’s Report (Marta)
- Current balance is $409.29 (not including $179.60 for
- $403 is still owed from Hamilton Administration for
t-shirt purchase. New invoice
was given to John Awakumi.
- Hui Dui will borrow $300 for graduation dinner
- Christine is no longer doing website maintenance.
- Christian will update committee list, student to
staff award page, and announcement of Vann Award nomination information.
Blotter Update (Lillian)
- Please read and respond to Mona’s email request for
story ideas and contact her if you would like to write an article.
- Margot is writing a “New Student Profile” of Lauren
Student to Staff Awardee
- Congratulations to Annie who received the award and
will attend the ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans!
- Andrew and colleagues at the ALISE conference made
the final decision.
- Lillian proposed using ALA-SC funds to help with
Decision is tabled until next meeting after funds are assessed.
Discussion Items (Brainstorming & Planning)
Professional Committee (Christine/Lillian)
- Christine is new Chair.
- There will be a School Library Brown Bag in
April. Details TBA.
- Nancy Conley Brown Bag for Feb. 8 was cancelled and
will be rescheduled for March.
- Reference Brown Bag with Susan Johnson and Jody
Mattos needs to be confirmed for March.
Social Committee (Annie)
- Makapu’u Hike and Whale Watching: Sunday Feb. 19
3pm. Carpool from UH.
- First Friday Art Walk downtown: Friday Mar. 3. Meet at Indigos for drinks ahead
- Other ideas: Art After Dark at Academy of Art (last
Friday of the month), karaoke, ice skating, Jazz Night at Jazz Minds on
Kapiolani, or HanoHano Room, BaLe happy hour before Spring Break.
- Loraine is new officer liaison.
Fundraising Projects (Margot)
- Margot is new Chair.
- Goal is to raise $300-500 per semester.
- Some ideas: LIS calendar, tote bags and umbrellas
with ALA-SC logo, swap meet, shave ice sale.
- Margot will investigate if UH Bookstore can sell our
Service Project (Janel)
- Spring Service Project is the Nippu Jiji Photo Archive
housed in the American Studies Department.
- Goal is to contribute a total of 75 volunteer hours
scanning and describing photographs from the 1940s-50s from this Japanese
language newspaper published in Hawaii.
- Schedule and training TBA.
Vann Award (Lillian)
- ALA-SC is soliciting nominations from LIS alumni and
- We need to replace Dr. Knuth’s plaque, which was lost
in the flood.
In Other News…
- A special thank you goes to Dawn for her wonderful
publicity posters and flyers!
- Jacob Rosen is now ALA-SC’s ace event photographer.
Next meeting will be Mar. 7,
5:30pm in Sinclair staff lounge.
Meeting adjourned at 6:40pm.
Minutes submitted by Secretary,