University of Hawaii at
American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs
March 7, 2006
Sinclair Library Staff Lounge 5:30pm
Attendees: Christine Cipolla, Margot Hanson, Caitlin
Nelson, Lillian Nicolich, Janel Quirante, Annie Thomas, Marta Wiggins
minutes from the Executive Board and Committee Chairs meeting on February 7,
2006 were approved by the Executive Officers.
Lillian distributed Agenda, Event Log, Committee Participation Sheet,
Spring Budget Report, Membership List and Student Chapter of the Year
ALA Student Chapter of the Year Application (Lillian)
- Lillian and Andrew did a great job preparing the
application materials and the packet was mailed on Feb. 28.
Vann Award (Lillian)
- Requests for nominations were sent to current ALA-SC
members and LIS alumni.
Service Project (Janel)
- Six ALA-SC members are participating (Anne Hillier,
Diane Kunichika, Christine Pawliuk, Janel Quirante, Dawn Sueoka, Josie
- Members attended an orientation session to the Nippu
Jiji photo archive project.
- Duties include scanning photographs, entering
keywords into a database and translating newspaper clips.
Blotter Update (Lillian/Margot)
- If you have an idea or would like to write a feature
article please contact Mona.
- Margot is writing a “New Student Profile” of Lauren
- Loraine is writing an editorial.
- other possible stories: member spotlight, LIS interns
and alumni at Hawaii State Library.
Discussion Items (Brainstorming & Planning)
Professional Committee (Christine)
- The School Librarian Brown Bag with Loraine Hotoke
from King Liholiho Elementary needs to be confirmed.
- Art Librarian Brown Bag with Nancy Conley will be
possibly scheduled for late April.
- Brown Bag with Mary Lundren scheduled for April 4,
time and location TBA. She will talk about the 100-year anniversary of her
small community library and its collection.
Social Committee (Annie)
- Mar. 18 Happy Hour at Brew Moon followed by film “Why
We Fight” at Doris Duke Theater
- Mar. 23 Pre-Spring Break mixer at BaLe, 3:45.
- Mar. 27 Hike at Waimea Falls and lunch at Cholo’s
Treasurer’s Report (Marta)
- Marta presented the Budget Report that Lillian
- The projected budget for the remainder of the Spring
semester should leave $500 for incoming officers.
- Lillian proposed that any leftover funds be donated
to Katrina relief and Annie will present check at ALA conference.
Fundraising Projects (Margot)
- LIS calendar project is underway. Almost all model spots have been
filled, Will Wong is photographer, calendar will be black & white, 200
copies will be ordered. Goal is to
have it ready by Thanksgiving.
- Krispy Kreme sale is also underway. $10 per box of dozen. Pre-orders are being collected for delivery
on April 4.
Membership List / Email Alias (Lillian/Janel)
- Lillian distributed updated membership list.
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org now includes all
Website Update (Caitlin)
- Caitlin is now doing web maintenance.
- Lillian proposed setting up a separate ALA-SC Flickr
Next meeting will be Apr. 4,
5:30pm, location TBA.
Meeting adjourned at 6:45pm.
Minutes submitted by Secretary,