University of Hawaii at Manoa
American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs Meeting
March 13, 2007
3:45 pm, POST 302
Attendees: Anne Hillier, Margot Hanson, Eric Leong, Sheryl Legaspi, Nadia Ayesh, Christine Cipolla, Carrie Ann Young, Vanessa Vallejos, Andrew Wertheimer, Wanda Wong
1. Approval of Minutes: Minutes for January and February meetings approved.
2. Gordon Biersch Social: lots of first-year students, so good. Kudos to Nadia!
3. Treasurer Report (Vanessa): current balance $1200, less $27 for Gordon Biersch social
Service committee (Eric):
Center for Pacific Island Studies Conference (this week): 15 volunteers. Is in contact with people for other events—possibly an August benefit for the library. Carrie said Friends of the Library may want help during the summer book sale—especially in providing baked goods for bake sale on first day. Andrew: November—HLA on Kauai. HLA may provide benefits. We decided to provide T-shirts to volunteers (Eric will pick up). Sheryl suggested making badges for volunteers to wear at events; Vanessa will try to make.
This Friday: University Press and University Astronomy Library tour.
March 30: Academy of Arts library visit (1 hour). Suggested 11:00 start time.
April 13: Kamehameha Schools Midkiff Learning Center/Middle School/Elementary School libraries. If we give a head count, we can eat lunch in the dining hall.
April 20: E-Tech Brown Bag
3. Fundraising Committee (Sheryl)
1. Canvas bags: Sheryl—cheapest $2.42, $3.50 for slightly better, put Caitlin's design on. Sheryl is investigating cost of printing at a Certified Hawaiian versus going through American T-shirt Company. Andrew suggested adding text, “University of Hawaii at Manoa Library School.” Andrew proposed print run of 150 rather than 200. Price: $15 okay, Margot preferred $12.
4. Blotter (Margot)
1. March issue: will be formatted this week
2. April Fool's issue: postpone deadline
3. May: Focus on job-hunting, Matt Yim
5. Social committee (Nadia)
1. Barbecue—first weekend of Spring Break (March 24 or 25), Ala Moana Beach Park. Put sign-up sheet for potluck in Bilger 319. Also ask people to bring chairs, tents, folding tables, sporting equipment
2. Vanessa proposed: April 14, 4 pm: Free screening and director talk by Malaysian filmmaker at Doris Duke Theater (other times also available)
3. Chelsea wants to do another Jackie's Kitchen happy hour with Beta Phi Mu in April.
1. Elections: in April! Drum up candidates.
2. Vann Awards: nominations due March 31. (Four received so far.)
3. Faculty Retreat all day next Friday.
4. Prom: Theme: “Library School of Rock,” April 28, Liliuokalani Student Services Center. Committee: Dawn, Janelle, Margot. Music: iPod playlist (suggestions welcome). Speakers wanted.
5. Next Meeting: April 10
Adjourned 4:40 pm.
Minutes submitted by secretary Anne Hillier