American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs Meeting
September 24, 2007
3:03 PM, LIS Conference Room
In Attendance: Eric Leong, Andrew Weiss, Kale Kingsbury, Dr. Andrew Wertheimer, Jennifer Crowther, Mary Louise Haraguchi
I. Approval of minutes
A. Minutes for meeting of September 10, 2007 (Eric)
- Minutes approved by board; no comments / questions at this time.
II. Officer Reports
A. President’s Report (Eric)
1. ALA-SC new members
- President reported three new members have joined organization since last meeting.
III. Committee Reports
A. Professional Committee (Mary Louise)
- Mary Louise reported that the tour is pretty much set up, and that the organization just needs to figure out a date and time.
- Dr. Wertheimer proposed an option to hold the tour during at least part of the LIS 653 course on Wednesdays.
- Transportation issues remain;
ensuring all students of the class are able to get to the
2. GSO Symposium
- Mary Louise reported that the GSO Symposium will be held on Saturday, Nov. 3rd
3. Michael Stephens talk
- Chair informed board that Michael Stephens will be giving a presentation on Nov. 14th, 12:00PM to 1:30PM, in Bilger 319.
- Topics to be discussed will be Web 2.0, technology in library schools, etc.
B. Social Committee (Eric)
1. Halloween Party
- Sarah Myhre has indicated that this event encompasses all LIS student organizations
- Party will consist of a potluck and costume contest; other ideas for entertainment still pending.
b. Date and Time
- Social Chair originally planned for event to be held on Friday, Oct. 26th, from 5:00PM to 9:00PM.
- President reported that organization was unable to reserve SSC 412 for the above listed date and time.
- Dr. Wertheimer advised board to be careful not to overuse SSC 412, as its “owners” may not allow ALA-SC to use the room for future events if they feel the organization is using it too much.
- President requested ideas from
board as to other venues; suggestions included
Update: Sarah has reported that she managed to procure SSC 412 for a different day, and that the Halloween Party would be held on Saturday, October 20th, 5:00PM to 9:00PM, instead.
- Exact budget pending
- President relayed Chair’s idea for other LIS student organizations to help chip in for costs, with ALA-SC then determining / covering the difference.
- It was reported that the WebTeam is providing $50.00.
C. Service Committee (Jennifer)
1. Manoa Experience
- Jennifer reported that she and Emma had volunteered to assist Jonelle Sage with the “Manoa Experience” project, and that event had been successful.
D. Basement Blotter (Andrew)
- Andrew reported that he had spoken to Sierra and received feedback on topics that had been decided on at previous executive board meeting.
- Next issue will contain new student self-introductions and new faculty pieces.
2. Paper copies
- Blotter staff will print a few paper copies, but they are trying to faze them out in favor of online versions.
- Dr. Wertheimer indicated that the existence of printed organization newspapers are looked upon favorably by accreditation committees and various visitors to the LIS office; also informed board he would be willing to commit photocopy funds for this purpose.
3. BHSD copy?
- President suggested providing a copy of the Blotter at the BHSD Reference Desk.
- Dr. Wertheimer advised against this, favoring keeping the Blotter an “in-family” paper and proposing that LIS perhaps design a program brochure that can be used instead.
E. ALA-SC Website (Kale)
- Secretary reported receiving an e-mail from Caitlin Nelson including URL links to each page of the website.
- Caitlin indicated organization could either send all necessary information to her and she would update the site, or organization could send data to Pam Scott and Caitlin could teach her how to update the site.
F. Fundraising revisited (Eric)
1. Chair position
- President informed board that the position for Fundraising Chair remains open.
- Dr. Wertheimer suggested changing the name of the position to something less intimidating.
- Secretary’s Note: After much discussion on topics, audience, pricing, and complications, the executive board decided to scrap the Calendar project entirely and focus on another Fundraising endeavor instead. Notes on Calendar discussion have been saved, but shall not be included here.
3. Other fundraising ideas
- Dr.Wertheimer suggested mugs or T-shirts.
- Other suggestions included caps and visors.
- President asked if anyone present knew anyone who designed custom mugs / caps / etc.
- Jennifer indicated she has contacts and will get in touch with them.
IV. New Business
A. Next meeting (Eric)
- President informed attendees that the next board meeting will be held on Monday, Oct. 8th, 3:00 PM, in the LIS Conference Room.
- President also reported that, after this point, board meetings will be rolled back to being held just once a month.
B. Faculty meeting (Andrew)
- It was reported that the Faculty Meeting will be held on Friday, Oct. 5th, at 1:30PM in Bilger 319.
- President requested that ALA-SC’s representative provide faculty with information on what the organization is up to, as well as GSO information.
Meeting adjourned at 3:58PM
Minutes submitted by Kale Kingsbury, Secretary