American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs Meeting
October 8, 2007
3:00 PM, Office of Dr. Wertheimer
In Attendance: Eric Leong, Andrew Weiss, Kale Kingsbury, Nadia Ayesh, Dr. Andrew Wertheimer, Jennifer Crowther, Mary Louise Haraguchi, Emma Panui
I.† Approval of minutes
A. Minutes for meeting of September 24, 2007 (Eric)
- Minutes approved by board; no comments / questions at this time.
II. Officer Reports
††††††††††† A. Presidentís Report (Eric)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. ALA-SC new members
- President reported that one new member has joined the organization since last meeting.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. October Basement Blotter
- President was pleased to report that the October edition of the Basement Blotter had been published and distributed to the LIS community.
††††††††††† B. Vice Presidentís Report (Andrew)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Faculty Meeting
- Vice President attended the LIS Faculty meeting held prior to this Executive Board meeting; indicated there was nothing to report that pertained to ALA-SC.
III. Committee Reports
A. Service Committee (Jennifer)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Team Read Week
- Jennifer had looked into Team Read Week as a potential Service project for ALA-SC.
- Local libraries were contacted, no responses have been received as of yet.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Bishop Museum Trick or Treat
- Jennifer had also looked into
the possibility of ALA-SC assisting the
- Museum replied that they did not require the organizationís assistance for this event, and that they generally book participants for the event during the Spring.
- President thanked Service Committee members for looking into these potential projects, and suggested retaining the ideas and following up on them for next year.
B. Professional Committee (Mary Louise)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Michael Stephens
- Chair reported that the Michael Stephens presentation date and topic has been finalized and is ready to go.
- Chair reported that the tour of
- Dr. Wertheimer suggested holding the tour mid-day on a Wednesday, to which Chair suggested October 31st at 1:30PM.
- Secretary raised concern of potential complications for attendees who choose to wear costumes that day; remainder of board did not view this as a problem, and tour was scheduled for the 31st.
- Mary Louise reported that she would send out an e-mail regarding the Tour.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 3. Conference Workshops
- Chair mentioned the holding of Conference Workshops on Saturday, November 3rd.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 4. Paula Mochida Presentation
- Chair is looking into possibility of having the Interim University Librarian give a talk focusing on the status of academic libraries.
- Chair is hoping to schedule such a presentation to be held either this semester or next.
C. Social Committee (Eric)
††††††††††† ††††††††††† 1. Halloween Party
- President relayed to Board that Sarah Myhre is looking for volunteers to provide decorations for the party.† Board suggested limiting decoration providers to ALA-SC board members in order to decrease the chances of oversupplying and/or misplacing contributions.
- President reminded Board that the event is planned as a potluck, and further reported that Sarah would be producing a potluck sign-up sheet.
- President indicated that the event is open to guests, but that Chair requested that attendees RSVP the total number of guests who would be coming with them.
- Dr. Wertheimer reminded President to pick up the keys for QLSSC 412 on the Friday before the event.
††††††††††† ††††††††††† 2. Scary Movie On Halloween
- President reported that Committee Chair is looking into the possibility of hosting a scary movie social event on Halloween night.
- This event is still only in the planning stages, but President indicated that anyone who has suggestions for movies should contact Sarah.
D. Fundraising Committee (Eric / Jennifer)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Mugs
- Jennifer reported she had gotten in touch with her contact, but was informed that because the original logo ALA-SC wished to use was a University logo, they would not touch the project until approval had been confirmed by the Licensing Department.
- Licensing Department said it required confirmation from the Bookstore; calls to the Bookstore have thus far gone unanswered.
- President suggested using the LIS webpage logo instead, and asked Dr. Wertheimer who the copyright owner is, to which Dr. Wertheimer replied he did not foresee any issues with copyright ownership.
- Dr. Wertheimer reminded President and Fundraising Committee to take into account shipping costs and the potential for breakage when determining the final total.
- Dr. Wertheimer asked if the organization planned to go with just the logo, or if it planned to include ALA-SC in the design.† President recommended keeping the design generic in order to increase overall appeal.
Update: President sent out an e-mail on Thursday, October 18th which included a link to BelDecal.com, the company ALA-SC will be receiving the mugs from.† The organization is limited to one color, and Eric has requested that board members vote on their preferred color and send their responses to him by Monday, October 22nd.
E. Basement Blotter (Andrew)
††††††††††† ††††††††††† 1. November Issue
- Andrew reported that he would meet with Sierra to prepare for the next issue.
- Currently, the Blotter committee is planning to release the next issue around the beginning of November.
- Andrew notified the Board that if anyone has any ideas or contributions, they could let him know.
- In response to Presidentís question as to the next issueís theme, Andrew replied that, at this time, the Blotter committee is using items that did not make it into the first issue.
F. ALA-SC Website (Eric)
1. President reported that Pamela Scott has begun updating the ALA-SC website, and that Ryan James has also volunteered to provide some assistance.
IV. New Business
A. Membership Brochures
- Dr. Wertheimer informed the Board that the new ALA-SC Membership Brochures have been produced, and asked for ideas as to what should be done with them.
††††††††††† - President suggested having copies available at ALA-SC events.
- Treasurer stated that Hui Dui can give copies out to incoming students at LIS orientations.
- President also suggested leaving copies at the information table outside of the LIS office.
B. Next meeting (Eric)
- President informed attendees that the next board meeting will be held on Monday, November 5th, 3:00 PM, in the LIS Conference Room.
- After requesting feedback from the Board, President decided to stick with Mondays for Executive Board meetings.
C. Blotter Reimbursement (Andrew)
- Andrew informed Treasurer that 50 copies of the Basement Blotter had been run off at Kinkoís, and that a reimbursement of $17.00 was required.
D. HLA Conference (Eric)
- President notified Board that Lori Ann Saeki is looking for students to write about the HLA Conference; anyone who will be attending and would be interested in doing a write-up can contact Eric for Lori Annís e-mail address.
††††††††††† E. Graduation (Eric)
- President inquired as to what ALA-SCís role in this semesterís graduation would be.
- Treasurer replied that roughly $200 will be taken from the organizationís account to provide pupus, and that she will e-mail a confirmed count to the President once it has been calculated.
Meeting adjourned at 3:35PM
Minutes submitted by Kale Kingsbury, Secretary