American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs Meeting
February 11, 2008
3:07 PM, LIS Conference Room
In Attendance: Eric Leong, Jennifer Crowther, Kale Kingsbury, Dr. Andrew Wertheimer, Karen Brown, Frans Albarillo
I. Approval of Minutes (Eric)
- Minutes from previous meeting (1.28.08) approved; no questions or comments at this time.
II. Officer Reports
††††††††††† A. Presidentís Report (Eric)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Chapter of the Year
- The new member round table of
- President asked if anyone was interested in assisting the organization with this process.†† †††††††††††
††††††††††† B. Treasurerís Report (Jennifer)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Nothing new to report at this time. †††††††††††
††††††††††† C. Secretaryís Report (Kale)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Faculty Meeting
- Secretary attended Faculty Meeting on Friday, February 8th.
- Informed LIS faculty of upcoming Ice Cream Social, plans to advertise and sell fundraising mugs, and the meeting between mentors and new LIS students taking place at the Ice Cream Social.
III. Committee Reports
††††††††††† A. Social Committee (Eric)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Ice Cream Social
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. Date / Time
††† - Event will be held this coming Thursday, February 14th, from 4:00PM to 5:00PM (ALA-SC has the room reserved until 5:30PM)
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. Volunteers
††† - President asked for volunteers to stay for clean-up after 5:00PM.
- Andrew Weiss and Karen Brown volunteered to pick up ice cream and other needed supplies.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† c. Prizes / Grab bags
††† - President reported that grab bags intended for use this semester were left behind and lost at last semesterís Ice Cream social, thus, new items for prizes are needed.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††† - Treasurer suggested mugs filled with candy.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† d. Other supplies
††† - A question was raised regarding the availability of refrigerators and/or freezers for keeping ice cream cold.
- Karen asked if organization has enough bowls and spoons; President replied in the affirmative.
- Dr. Wertheimer reminded board to take into consideration individuals who are lactose intolerant, and to have alternatives on hand; President reminded volunteers to pick up sherbert, Dr. Wertheimer also recommended gelato.
- Karen requested a specific list of what items she should pick up for the Ice Cream Social.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† e. Mug order forms
††† - Order forms for mugs will be available at the Ice Cream Social.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† f. New student application forms
††† - President requires a copy of the new student application forms for ALA-SC, so that they will be on-hand at the Ice Cream Social; Treasurer stated she would e-mail a copy.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. LIS Prom
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. Location
††† - President indicated that location is the top priority for this event; asked for any suggestions from board or committee members.
- Frans suggested possibility of the second floor of Anna Bananas; President requested Frans inquire further with the venue.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††† - Karen suggested Ong King or similar
††† - Dr. Wertheimer raised the possibility of HPU, Chaminade, or other schools that may possess the space to accommodate this type of event.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. Date
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††† - No date set as of yet; President considering sometime in April.
††† - Dr. Wertheimer advised that the event could not be held any later than the month of April.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† c. Entertainment?
††† - A question was raised as to whether or not there was live entertainment at the previous event; Secretary replied in the negative, and listed Guitar Hero and recorded music as previous forms of enterntainment.
- Treasurer indicated she has contacts with a band that performs reggae music.
- Dr. Wertheimer mentioned an LIS graduate who did band work at Gordon Biersch.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 3. Additional Events
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† - No new information on any additional social events at this time.
††††††††††† B. Professional Committee (Frans)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Curriculum Committee
- In response to a summary of upcoming scenarios involving the Curriculum Committee and subsequent questions regarding it, President informed Frans that he should contact Lesley Parilla to get information on ALA-SC brownbag plans.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. SLA-ASIST
- Dr. Wertheimer informed board that SLA-ASIST is planning a number of tours, and brought up the potential for partnership between our two organizations.
††††††††††† C. Fundraising Committee (Karen)
††††††††††† ††††††††††† 1. Mugs
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. Advertising
††† - Karen has notified professors asking for approval to advertise mugs in classes.
- As soon as confirmation is received, ALA-SC members will go ahead with advertising; sales forms will also be brought to classes for students to sign.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. Pricing
††† - Karen indicated she would like to rethink sales prices: $8.00 a mug, two for $15.00.
- President suggested sticking with current price of one for $10.00, two for $18.00, seeing how sales go, and modifying price later if necessary.
- Secretary warned board and committee members to be sure to keep mention of price changes quiet, in order to minimize effects of potential buyers holding off until prices go down.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† c. Advertising volunteers
††† - Karen will send out a list of people who volunteered to advertise in the variousclasses.
††††††††††† D. Service Committee (Jennifer)
- Jennifer reported that the plan is still for mentors and their mentorees to meet at the upcoming Ice Cream Social.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Additional Service events
- No other plans for Service projects are in the works at this time.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 3. Read Aloud
††† - President reminded board that Dr. Quiroga sent out an e-mail for this project.
††† - Dr. Wertheimer advised those interested to contact the hosting organization first and ensure the event is still going on, and also reminded potential participants to check on the language(s) of the items to be read.
††† - Dr. Wertheimer also pointed out that, if even a couple of people volunteer, this could still be considered an ALA-SC event.
††††††††††† E. Basement Blotter (Eric / Karen)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Committee Meetings
††† - Karen stated that Blotter members will meet Thursday to go over content of first issue
††† - If there is not enough material, an e-mail request for submissions will be sent out.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Focus of Next Issue
- Karen reported that the issue coming up will have an Archive focus, with articles on SAA-SC, Shangri-La, and the AHA conference that was held this past weekend.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 3. Ideas for Upcoming Issues
- Dr. Wertheimer suggested articles on:
1) the upcoming SLA-ASIST Mini-conference
2) the 40th anniversary of the merger between ICS and LIS 3) Scott Robertson, an ICS professor who might teach a course of interest to LIS students
4) a piece on the accreditation process
††††††††††† F. ALA-SC Website (Eric)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Updates
- Eric reported that there have been no new reports on updates.
- Update requests should still be submitted to Pam Scott.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Priority Items
- Dr. Wertheimer asked if Vann award reports and previous issues of the Basement Blotter had been put up on the website.
- Eric replied that Alice Tran was working on uploading the Blotters.
IV. New Business (Eric)
††††††††††† A. Next meeting
††††††††††† ††††††††††† 1. Date / Time
††† - The next meeting is planned for Monday, March 3rd, at 3:00PM.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Topics of Discussion
- One topic planned for discussion at the next meeting will be ideas for a St. Patrickís Day social event.
3. Miscellaneous Information
- After this next meeting, board will go back to holding monthly meetings.
- In between meetings, President requested board and committee members stay in contact through e-mail.
Meeting adjourned at 3:46 PM
Minutes submitted by Kale Kingsbury, Secretary