University of Hawaii at Manoa
American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs Meeting
April 7, 2008
3:05 PM, LIS Conference Room
In Attendance: Eric Leong, Andrew Weiss, Jennifer Crowther, Kale Kingsbury, Dr. Andrew Wertheimer, Karen Brown, Amanda Hahn, Sarah Myhre, Simi Singh, Marcie Bighill
I. Approval of Minutes (Eric)
- Minutes from previous meeting (3.03.08) approved; no questions or comments at this time.
II. Officer Reports
††††††††††† A. Presidentís Report (Eric)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. New Officers
- President acknowledged and welcomed the newly elected ALA-SC officers, who were present at the meeting.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Vann Award
- President reported there was only one nominee: Karen Peacock
- A plaque for the recipient will be needed; Dr. Wertheimer said he would procure this.
- President also stated he would contact Karen Peacock and extend an invitation to the Graduation Dinner.
††††††††††† B. Vice-Presidentís Report (Andrew)
- Nothing new to report, though Vice-President did go over the position duties with the incoming Vice-President.
††††††††††† C. Treasurerís Report (Jennifer)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Organization Funds
- In response to question from President and Faculty Advisor, Treasurer reported that ALA-SC currently has $961.00 in funds.
††††††††††† D. Secretaryís Report (Kale)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Report at Faculty Meeting
- Secretary attended LIS Faculty Meeting held on Friday, 4.04.08; informed faculty of newly elected officers, updates to the Vann Award process, and the recent updating of the organization website.
III. Committee Reports
††††††††††† A. Social Committee (Eric)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. LIS Prom
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. Prom Planning Head Needed
- Since last Executive Board meeting, Marcie stepped down as Prom Planning Head.
- Amanda and Simi agreed to work jointly on organizing the event.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. Location
††† - After some discussion, Board decided to go ahead with Ong King.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† c. Date
††† - Board decided to try for either May 9th or May 10th, with the majority of Board members indicating that a Friday evening was preferred.
††† - Dr. Wertheimer advised Board to be sure the date didnít fall on a First Friday event.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† d. Budget
- Dr. Wertheimer inquired as to whether or not a budget for the event had been set aside.
- President suggested allocating $300.00 towards the Prom; no opposition from Board members.
- Vice-President also suggested that after a date and time have been decided upon, ALA-SC could seek to involve other student organizations for assistance and additional monetary support.
- Finally, the idea of a mild cover charge to help finance the event was proposed.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Beach BBQ
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† - Treasurer asked if ALA-SC was still planning to hold this event.
- Sarah replied that, in the past, this event was held over Spring Break, and that at this point it might be too late in the semester to follow through on it.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† - Board decided not to pursue the Beach BBQ social event.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 3. End of Semester Event
- Board decided to hold this event at Bale on the UHM campus on Thursday, May 1st, from 4:00PM to 6:00PM.
- Social committee members stated that they would send out a notice shortly, then a reminder two weeks before the event, and one more a week before.
- It was also suggested that ALA-SC consider making this a joint event with SAA-SC.
††††††††††† B. Budget Revisited
1. Graduation Dinner
- Sarah, acting on behalf of Hui Dui, requested a donation from ALA-SC to help finance the Graduation Dinner.
- Board decided to donate $200.00 to go towards the purchase of leis.
2. Budget Status
- President asked for an update on the budget after all recent donations had been factored in.
- Treasurer reported that ALA-SC had just under $500.00 remaining.
3. Additional Purchases
- President asked if there is anything else for which ALA-SC needs to spend money before the year is out.
- Only response came from Dr. Wertheimer, who mentioned the cost of leis for the new organization officers.
††††††††††† B. Professional Committee (Sarah & Karen)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Carlson / Saeki Talk
- Committee members reported that they had spoken to Amy Carlson and Lori-Ann Saeki, and that the two were open to giving a presentation in Bilger 319 on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
- Board members decided that Wednesday would be best.
- Dr. Wertheimer notified Board that the presentation would have to finish before 1:00PM that day, in order to avoid conflict with classes.† Decision was to have the presentation begin at 12:00.
- Sarah stated she would speak to Carlson and Saeki.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. PowerPoint Workshop by Brier and Lebbin
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† - Originally scheduled date of May 10th will not work.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† - A new date is currently being worked out.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 3. Professional Brownbag
- Organization is looking into the possibility of hosting brownbag events with professionals from academic and school fields.
- President informed Board that Sarah and Frans are heading this, but that additional volunteers would be needed.
††††††††††† C. Fundraising Committee (Karen)
††††††††††††††††††††††† 1. Mugs
- Karen reported that mugs are still available, and are still being sold.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Polling Station Suggestion
- President and Dr. Wertheimer suggested an opportunity for ALA-SC members to assist at polling stations.
- Volunteers are apparently paid to help out with the polling process.
3. Car Wash Suggestion
- Sarah suggested a car-wash fundraising idea.
††††††††††† D. Service Committee (Jennifer)
1. Ewa Beach Public Library Event
- Suggested as a Service event.
- One response was that it had the drawback of being far away, while it was also reported that the library had received a few responses already.
††††††††††††††††††††††† 2. Friends of the Library Book Sale
- Dr. Wertheimer clarified that this has never been a formal LIS event, but that the organization is always looking for volunteers.
- Board was also informed that this is a summer event, and thus will be coming up soon.
††††††††††† E. Basement Blotter (Karen)
- Karen reported that the Blotter committee is trying to get one publication out for April and one more for May.
- President asked Karen if she intended to stay on as Editor, to which she replied that she would try.
- Dr. Wertheimer inquired as to whether or not the Blotter team had a theme for their upcoming issues; Karen replied that there was no particular theme.
- Dr. Wertheimer repeated an earlier suggestion of having an Accreditation themed issue.
- Sarah suggested including photos and blurbs from ALA and Hui Dui officers so that LIS students would be able to get to know them; Dr. Wertheimer suggested also including GSO representatives.
††††††††††† F. ALA-SC Website (Eric)
- ALA-SC website was recently updated.
IV. New Business (Eric)
A. Passing of Folders to New Officers
- Outgoing officers turned over materials to incoming officers.
- Two officers, Treasurer and Secretary, are temporarily remaining in their current positions until replacements can be found.
- Photos of new officers were taken; will be available on Dr. Wertheimerís Flickr site for use in the ALA-SC Website.
Meeting adjourned at 3:55 PM
Minutes submitted by Kale Kingsbury, Secretary