American Library Association, Student Chapter
Executive Board and Committee Chairs Meeting
September 13, 2008
4:00 PM, LIS Conference Room
In Attendance: Jennifer Crowther, Karen Brown, Amanda Hahn, Dr. Andrew Wertheimer, Simi Singh, Stacy Naipo
I. Approval of Minutes
- There were no issues with the previous minutes.
II. Officer's Reports
A. President's Report (Karen)
- Karen welcomed everyone.
B. Vice-President's Report (Amanda)
C. Treasurer's Report (Jennifer)
- Jennifer received a binder with old ALA-sc financial information.
D. Secretary's Report (Kale)
- Kale was unable to attend this meeting.
III. Committee Reports
- Karen remarked that since it was the beginning of year and a lot of students had graduated, there were a lot of committee chairs empty.
A. Social Committee (Simi, Marcy, Pam)
1. There will be a Happy Hour at Bale on September 18 from 3:30 to 5 pm; ALA-sc will provide appetizers; this is in replacement of the usual ice cream social.
2. ALA-sc generally has a Halloween party; the group decided the day after Halloween would be a good day to have a party; conditional on interest and manpower.
3. Beach BBQ planned for spring.
4. Ice cream social may replace the second Bale Happy Hour in the spring.
B. Professional Committee
- Karen suggested doing a conference workshop about the how's and why's like a previous workshop with Dr. Wertheimer and Dr. Gazan; the group agreed this is a good idea.
Karen suggested that ALA-sc sponsor a brownbag from Dean Miles, who made a film
focusing on African-Americans living in
- Dr. Wertheimer suggested ALA-sc sponsor a brownbag on the Los Angeles County Public Library on October 27 from 4-4:45 in the ICS conference room; it will be presented by a recruiter from that system.
- ALA-sc had planned to offer a brownbag by Dr. Wertheimer and Dr. Asato talking about their research on the anime "Library Wars"; however due to other brownbags it will probably happen in spring.
C. Fundraising Committee (Karen)
- Karen remarked that mugs are still being sold, but several librarians have expressed concern as to whether BPA is included in the plastic.
- Dr. Wertheimer suggested ALA-sc gives mugs to the accreditation committee.
D. Service Committee
- No chair; Jen will be in the committee.
- Talk about participating in the Friends of the Library Book Sale next summer.
E. Basement Blotter (Karen)
- Five students are interested in writing for the Blotter.
- Amanda remarked that she had sent a couple notes on things that needed to be changed to Pam.
- Amanda wondered who was in charge of the ALA-sc Google Calendar account; no one is sure of the answer, so she will investigate.
IV. New Business
- Faculty representative needed. Kale has been ALA-sc faculty rep in past and if doesn’t want to continue, Amanda will attend faculty meetings.
- Karen brought up various times to have meetings; the group settled on the next meeting as Wednesday, October 1, from 11 to 11:45.
Meeting adjourned at 4:45 PM.
Minutes submitted by Amanda Hahn, Vice-President.