MA ART HISTORY ADMISSIONS
Refer also to the application requirements available from the Office of Graduate Education.
MA applicants must have a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) at the time of matriculation into the program. Preference is given to applicants with a BA degree in Art History (or an equivalent amount of Art History coursework). Applicants with a BA in a related field (e.g., Anthropology, Asian Studies, Religion, etc.) will also be considered for admission. At the discretion of the Graduate Faculty, applicants with insufficient undergraduate preparation may be admitted to the program with the condition that they will be required to take a specified number of "deficiency" courses. No credit from these deficiency courses will be applied to MA degree requirements; deficiency courses must be taken in addition to the 36 credits required for the MA degree. Applications are considered for Fall admission only; there is no Spring admission. The deadline for all MA application materials is January 15.
The application process consists of two main components:
1. Applicants should submit the following documents directly to the Office of Graduate Education along with the application fee. Complete instructions can be found here. Please note that copies of transcripts, faxed, e-mailed or hand delivered to the DAAH will not be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded from the Office of Graduate Education to the DAAH for review.
• A completed application. The online application can be accessed here. The paper application form can be downloaded here.
• Academic transcripts. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the academic institution of origin to the University of Hawaii's Office of Graduate Education.
• Official GRE General Test scores. The GRE General Test scores are a required component of the application. Applicants should make arrangements to take the appropriate standardized exams, several months prior to the admissions application deadline. Applicants may submit unofficial scores while applying for admission. However, admitted students are required to submit official scores in order to enroll at UHM. Official GRE scores must be sent directly to Office of Graduate Education Student Services. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for UHM is 4867. In general, test scores cannot be more than five years old.
• If applicable, TOEFL scores. The Office of Graduate Education requires the TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) tests from applicants who are not native speakers of English. Applicants are exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS if they are native speakers of English or have received within the last five years a bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited/recognized college or university in the Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
2. In addition, the Department requires special supporting materials that should be sent under separate cover directly to the Graduate Chair, the Department of Art and Art History, 2535 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96822, by the January 15 deadline. These supporting materials must include:
• Statement of Objective (form available from the Office of Graduate Education.) The Statement of Objectives should include the applicant's expected area of concentration: (1) China, (2) Japan, (3) Pacific, (4) South/Southeast Asia, or (5) Modern/Contemporary.
• A 10-page writing sample, e.g., an art history research paper or other formal written work.
• Three letters of recommendation from art history professors, professionals in the field (e.g., museum curators), and/or individuals who have worked closely with the applicant in art history related activities and are well acquainted with the applicant. There are no forms or online submissions for letters of recommendation.
If the applicant would like to be considered for Graduate Assistantships, the Guidelines + Application form are downloadable from this page. All incoming and continuing MA and MFA students are encouraged to apply for all departmental GA positions.
For Information on International Students.