A minimum of 60 credits of advanced level course work is required for the MFA degree. The degree culminates in a Thesis Exhibition, Thesis Paper and public Oral Defense. Of the 60 credits required:
• 24 credit of of Graduate Studio Seminar (ART 611, ART 612, ART 613, ART 614)
• 15 credits of electives 300 level and above
• 6 credits of Art History, numbered 300 or above
• 3 credits of ART 690, Interdisciplinary Seminar
• 12 credits of Art 700V (Thesis)
Elective courses (numbered 300 and above) may be selected by the student from courses within the Department of Art and Art History or from within other departments if such courses are deemed useful and relevant by the student's Faculty Advisor. Graduate students may only receive elective graduate credits for courses that are not required for the UH undergraduate degree in their area of media-specialization.
TRANSFER OF CREDITS
Up to 29 credits of post BA or BFA course work may be transferred in to the MFA program's total of 60 credits. These courses must be 300 level and above, not required for the undergraduate degree, a "B" or above, and be recommended by the student's Faculty Advisor and the Graduate Chair for transfer.