Windows 7 Information - End of Support
**Windows 7/8 support ending January 14, 2020**
Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020 and will no longer provide security updates for Windows 7 after that date. See https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle . Running an unsupported, unpatched OS is a security risk to all users and devices on the UH network.
As a result, ITS will be ending support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 on December 31, 2019 and recommends that UH users migrate to a newer, supported operating system (OS), such as Windows 10, before the end of 2019. UH administrative users are advised to use Windows 10 Pro or Education.
"We (Microsoft) designed Windows 7 to simplify the things you do every day, work the way you want, and make some exciting new things possible." - Microsoft website
Windows 7 is a version of Microsoft Windows, a series of operating systems produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablet PCs, and media center PCs. Windows 7 was released for general retail availability on October 22, 2009, following its predecessor, Windows Vista. (adapted from Wikipedia)
Minimum System Requirements
- A PC with a 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 GB of RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- At least 20 GB free hard disk space
- Windows Aero-capable graphics card with DirectX9 graphics support
- 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
- WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
- 32 bits per pixel
- internal or external DVD drive
- Internet access capability
- Audio output capability
Additional Requirements to Use Certain Features
- Some programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher
- DVD/CD authoring requires a DVD/CD burner optical drive
- BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module 1.2
- BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive
- Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM, an additional 15 BG free hard disk space, and a hardware processor that supports virtualization
ITS Supported Version
- Windows 7 Professional
Departments may purchase this software through the ITS Site License Office. Users can purchase this software for personal use from a computer software retailer that sells Microsoft products.
- Windows 7 Application Compatibility [HTML]
In Windows 7, click the Start button, click All Programs, and click Windows Update.
Alternative: Open Internet Explorer to the Microsoft Windows Update website to download the latest Microsoft Windows updates.