Since you have an Intel Macintosh desktop or laptop with Mac OS X 10.5, you will want to download McAfee Security 1.1 for the Macintosh, formerly known as McAfee VirusScan. The system requirements are as follows:
- Macintosh with an Intel processor
- Mac OS X version 10.5 or later (10.8 not supported)
- 1 GB of RAM
- At least 300 MB of free hard disk space (500MB recommended)
Step 3. Download the McAfee Security anti-virus software
At this point, you will need to
- Go to the main Download Page.
- Click on Click here to login to the software download site.
- Type your UH Username and Password in the appropriate boxes, then click on Login.
- Fill in the number of computers you will be installing McAfee Security on in the "Current # of Licenses" box. Click on Download.
- You may have to click on Download or OK for the download to proceed.
- McAfee Security will now be downloaded to your computer. When the download is finished, there will be a McAfee Security for Mac 1.1.zip icon in whatever location you downloaded the file to. If necessary, double click on the McAfee Security for Mac 1.1.zip icon to unzip the folder, then double click on the McAfee Security for Mac 1.1 folder icon. Inside the folder, double click on the McAfee Security for Mac-Anti-malware-1.1-RTW-1303.dmg icon. A disk icon named McAfee Security for Mac-Anti-malware-1.1-RTW-1303 will then be mounted on your desktop. On this disk will be an icon named McAfee Security for Mac-Anti-malware-1.1-RTW-1303.mpkg.
- Come back to this page to continue the process at Step 4. You may also wish to print this page for reference.
Go to the main Download Page Now.
Step 4. Install the McAfee Security anti-virus software.
- Double click on the McAfee Security for Mac-Anti-malware-1.1-RTW-1303.mpkg icon.
- If you are asked "This package contains a program that determines if the software can be installed. Do you want to continue?", click on Continue.
- At the next screen, click Continue.
- You will be at the Read Me screen. Click Continue.
- You will be at the Software License Agreement screen. If you agree with the terms, click Continue. In the following window, click Agree.
- If the next window is a "Destination Select" window, make sure your hard drive is selected, then click Continue.
- In the next window, click the Install (it may also say Upgrade) button. You may be prompted for an administrator password. If you are, type the same password you use to login to your Macintosh, and click OK.
- McAfee Security will now be installed. When it is finished, you should see a message that the software was installed successfully. Click on Close.
- Restart your Macintosh (go to the "Apple" menu and select Restart).
After your Macintosh has restarted, a McAfee Security icon should be in your Applications folder.
Step 5. Download and install the latest Definition File.
After your computer has restarted, check that McAfee Security is up to date:
- Launch McAfee Security (Hard drive->Applications->McAfee Security)
- On the left side of the window, click on Update Now
- On the right side of the window, click on Start Update. McAfee Security will now be updated to the latest version.
Your computer should now be protected against viruses.
Please refer to the document, McAfee Security for Mac 1.1 - Anti-malware User Guide.pdf for more information about this software. It is located in the "Documents" folder that's in the "McAfee Security for Mac 1.1" folder (that you downloaded).
If you have problems with the software, you may contact the ITS Help Desk at Help Desk or phone (808) 956-8883 for assistance.