Configuring Outlook 2010 with IMAP connection for Google@UH Gmail
Note: Make sure you have enabled IMAP in Google@UH Gmail before you continue, instructions can be found here.
- Select File > Account Settings, then look for the E-mail tab and select New...
- Choose Manually configure server settings or additional server types then click Next to continue
- On the Choose E-mail Service screen, select Internet E-mail, then click Next to continue
- The next screen allows you to type in connection information for the UH mail servers. Under User Information, fill in your name as you would like it to appear on email that you send next to Your Name. Your email address should be in the format firstname.lastname@example.org. Account Type should be set to IMAP. The Incoming Mail Server should be set to imap.gmail.com. The Outgoing Mail Server should be set to smtp.gmail.com. Your UH Username should be typed in the User Name field as email@example.com.
If you would like Outlook to remember your password so you do not have to type it in every time you open Outlook, fill it in on the Password line, and check Remember password.
Then click on the More Settings… button.
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab at the top of the Internet E-mail Settings window. Check the box that says My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Choose the option that says Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Click on the Advanced tab at the top of the Internet E-mail Settings window. Use the following type of encrypted connection should be set to SSL for both Incoming server (IMAP)/Outgoing server (SMTP). Change the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number to 465 (Note: SMTP port 587 with TLS should also work). Change the Incoming server (IMAP) port to 993 then click OK.
- Click Next and then Finish. You have now set up Outlook to access your UH email account.