Hawaiian Diacritics for Google Docs
The Hawaiian diacritics, kahakō (the line over a vowel) and ‘okina (an inverted apostrophe), can be included in your Google Docs. To include the diacritics "on the fly", you would insert a special character (using its corresponding hex code) wherever you need it in your Google Docs. If you frequently use Hawaiian words in your Google Docs, this method would be quite tedious and time-consuming.
ITS has created a Google Docs template called "Hawaiian Words" with selected Hawaiian words and their appropriate diacritical marks. After you add the words to your Autocorrect dictionary in Google Docs, the Hawaiian diacritics will be quickly created for you as you type in your Google Docs document. You may also add your own frequently used Hawaiian words or phrases to customize your Autocorrect dictionary.
Adding Hawaiian Diacritic Symbols
- Open a Google doc.
- Position the cursor where you wish to insert a Hawaiian diacritic symbol.
- Click Insert | Special Characters.
- In the hex input box, type the hex code from the table corresponding to the vowel or okina.
The hex code is specific for upper and lower case vowels.
- Click the Insert button.
Table of Hex Codes for Hawaiian Diacritics
|Capital Letters||Hex Code||Small Letters||Hex Code|
Figure 1. Inserting Hex Code for Capital A with Kahako
Adding Hawaiian Words to Autocorrect in Google Docs
- In Google Docs, click the Create button then click From template.
- In the University of Hawaii Templates tab, scroll down to "Hawaiian Words" and click the use this template button next to the document.
- "Copy of Hawaiian Words" will open.
- Highlight a Hawaiian word on the list and press Ctrl + C keys to copy the entry.
- Click Tools | Preferences.
- Click in the blank box in the "With" column. Press Ctrl + V keys to paste the entry.
- Click in the blank box in the "Replace" column and type the word without the Hawaiian diacritics.
- Click the OK button.
- Repeat steps 4-8 for each word.
Figure 2. Inserting Autocorrect Entry
When adding your own Hawaiian words to your Autocorrect dictionary, you must first create a document in Google Docs with a list of Hawaiian words with their appropriate diacritics. Follow the directions above to add your Hawaiian words to customize your Autocorrect dictionary.
Using Autocorrect in Google Docs
In your Google doc, simply type the Hawaiian word without the diacritic symbols. The word will be auto-corrected with the proper Hawaiian diacritics.
For example, type "Manoa" (without the quotes) and "Mānoa" will replace it.