Securing your iPad or Tablet Device
Mobile computing has been redefined with the explosion of iPads and other tablet devices. The capabilities of these lightweight, easy to carry devices fall somewhere in between a smartphone and laptop computer. These devices can store a tremendous amount of personal, sensitive information and are popular targets for thieves. Here are some general tips for securing your tablet device.
- Keep your software up-to-date: Make sure you update your device's software at least every few weeks.
- Enable Password Protection: Most tablet devices have the option to set a password or pattern to ensure that only you can access your device and any information stored on it. If you are unsure how to enable a password or pattern on your device, please check the manual or call support. Ensure that you select a difficult to guess password (strong password).
- Enable Remote Wipe: "Remote Wipe" will delete everything on your device if your password or pattern is incorrectly entered a defined number of times (you can select how many incorrrect attempts are made before wiping the device). Please consult your device manual for information on how to enable and configure this feature on your device.
- Ensure 3rd party apps are safe: Don't download or install apps for files from unknown people or sources.
- Install security software on your device if available: Some antivirus/anti-malware vendors are also developing security software for tablets and other mobile devices.