Anti-Spyware Solution for Your PC
The following anti-spyware solutions are for PCs running the Windows operating system.
ITS recommends the following anti-spyware solutions for your PC depending on where and who owns the computer.
Unlike anti-virus software, you may install more then one anti-spyware program on your computer. With two programs, one would catch spyware that the other misses. In most cases, a combination of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and SUPERAntiSpyware has proven to be very effective in cleaning out spyware.
For UH faculty/staff using a UH owned computer
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 ITS has site-licensed this anti-virus with integrated anti-spyware software for UH campus computers (purchased with UH funding and/or UH decaled). The software may be downloaded from http://www.hawaii.edu/software
This license also covers one personal home computer for UH faculty, staff and students.
For all non-UH owned computers (UH students and affiliates; UH faculty/staff personal home computers)
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)
application removes malware. It is not designed to replace anti-virus software. The free version is for personal use on home computers. For business or institutional computers, please pay the appropriate shareware fee.
- Website: http://www.superantispyware.com/
- Download link: http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE
Although there is no 64-bit version, it will run on a 64-bit OS in 32-bit mode.
software detects and removes spyware, adware, Trojan Horses, rogue security software, computer worms, rootkits, parasites and other potentially harmful software applications. It is not designed to replace anti-virus software. The free edition does not include real-time blocking or scheduled scanning.
- Microsoft Windows Defender
software detects and removes spyware and adware. It is not designed to replace anti-virus software. It is included and enabled by default in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Please contact the ITS Help Desk for help with questions or problems running the above software.