Creating a Custom Search Engine (CSE) / Create a Search Box for Your Department
Method A: To create a search that will display the results on the same page, use a Custom Search Engine (CSE).
There are many options for a CSE. These instructions will get you started with a basic CSE.
- Login to http://www.google.com/cse/ with a gmail account
- Click on "New Search Engine"
- Fill out the form
- Enter a site URL to search.
- Enter a name for this search engine.
- Click on the "CREATE" button.
To display the search form on your page:
- Click on "Look and feel".
- Select a template.
- Click on the "Save & Get Code" button.
- On the resulting page, click in the grey text box. The code will now be highlighted.
- Copy the code.
- Paste the code into your page.
Method B: To create a search that will display the results on a new page with the UH template, use Google's University Search.
If you'd like to include a search box that will only search within your department's pages, you might try including the form below. It uses Google's search engine, but limits the results to only matches within your department's directory or site. If you set this up and get no results, please contact us.
Copy the below text to your page and make the appropriate changes to the in url in the "hq" parameter:
The example html code below searches the /infotech directory:
Google's University Search, a free "product" that allows .edu sites to tailor a Google search to their specific domains/directories.