Accessing the University of Hawaii Email System with your PDA/Pocket PC/Smartphone
ITS is supporting on a best effort basis some smart phones, PDAs and pocket PCs in order to assist those who would like to connect to the UH mail server. There are essentially two ways to connect to the mail server wirelessly.
- A Wi-Fi (wireless 802.11abgn) connection which is the same standard used by many notebooks. Some Pocket PC phones and PDAs are equipped with the wireless 802.11 standard. 802.11 is available on various areas of the campus (hot spots) or where ever your laptop could access wireless. Security should always be a concern over 802.11 since not all access points are trustworthy. We suggest caution when using other wireless APs that are not provided by ITS on campus.
- A Cellular (data plans) connection such as 3G, EDGE, GPRS, EV-DO, HSDPA etc. This is provided through your mobile carrier in either a monthly package or a la carte. Cellular provides access to email anywhere a phone can receive a signal. If you lack a data plan with your cellular provider, charges can accumulate quickly. Many users without a data plan are charged per KB which can result in high fees when synchronizing only a relatively small amount of email. This is especially true if attachments are involved. Please contact your cellular provider to ensure you have a data plan or for understanding charges when a data plan is not present.
The following general settings should be used when connecting to the UH mail server. Detailed instructions are also available by clicking on the appropriate protocol link e.g. POP, IMAP and Exchange.
- Incoming Mail Server – imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing Mail Server - smtp.gmail.com
- Require SSL connection should be "checked"
- Outgoing Mail requires authentication should be "checked"
- If you lack a data plan choosing “get message headers only” will minimize data transmission
- Blackberry – Options
- Blackberry Internet Service (contact your cellular carrier to activate using the above settings)
- Apple iPhone - Options
- Android - Options