These instructions are for setting up access to the UHM broadcasted wireless SSID at the UH-Manoa campus when using Windows Vista.
- Click on the Start icon, and then click on Connect To from the menu.
- The Connect to a network window appears and displays the wireless networks in range. Please select UHM to connect to the UHM wireless network. If UHM is not listed, click the refresh button in the upper right corner.
Note: If you cannot see UHM listed, the wireless network may not be available in your area. A map of the UH-Manoa wireless network is located at http://www.hawaii.edu/wireless/map.
- Click Connect in the lower right corner. A message will show up asking if you want to connect to the unsecure network. Click Connect Anyway.
- Windows Vista will show its progress as it connects to the network. Once successfully connected, it will ask you if you would like to save the network and if you would like to have it start automatically. Once you choose the options you would like, click the Close button.
- Windows may ask you to choose a location for the UHM network. This will select the type of security and devices you can see on the network. For the best security, choose Public Location.
- Once the location is set, click the Close button in the lower right corner of the window.
- Finally, launch a web browser, like Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, to login to the wireless network. Once logged in you are ready to browse the Web.
Note: If you experience issues with connectivity on the UHM wireless using Windows Vista, you may need to install a patch from Microsoft. http://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1258