Pacific People: An Evening of Telling LivesJune 24, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
Mānoa Campus, Kennedy Theatre
“Pacific People: An Evening of Telling Lives,” is a performance that explores the many ways that Hawaiian and Pacific people continue to preserve the lives of ancestors and those who live today.
This evening of hula, chant, song, theatre and writing will celebrate the range of ways that Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders have for centuries told the stories of their ali‘i, their ancestors, and themselves. Among the performers are:
- Halau Mohala 'Ilima, Mapuana de Silva, Kumu Hula, the Merrie Monarch award-winning halau
- Kalena Silva, Noted Chanter and Director of Ka Haka 'Ula o Ke'elikolani College of Hawaiian Language, University of Hawai'i at Hilo
- Ku'uipo Kumukahi, Na Hoku Hanohano award-winning singer and performer of Hawaiian Music
- Jon Osorio, Singer and Composer, and Director of Kamakakuokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, and Jamaica Osorio, award-winning Slam Poet
- Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl, playwright and recipient of the Hawai'i writers award
- Nyla Fujii Babb, noted Hawai'i storyteller and actress
- Kuuleimomi Kepilino, renowned dancer and kumu hula of Halau Pua Lililehua 'O Kuuleimomi
- Robert Sullivan, Maori poet and prose writer
- Kameha'ililani Waiau, actress, dancer, and chanter
- Debbie and Chris Kelsey, singers and performers with Kuwaiolaonapukanileo
- Ani Lokomaika'i Lipscomb, dancer and actress
This event is presented by the Center for Biographical Research, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, as part of the 6th Biennial Conference of the International Auto/Biography Association, which will be meeting in Honolulu from June 23rd until June 27. Funding and co-sponsorship for this event has been provided by the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, the Department of English, and the Department of Theatre and Dance, University of Hawai'i at Manoa.
FREE, but reservations recommended.
Center for Biographical Research, Manoa
956-3774, email@example.com, http://www.english.hawaii.edu/IABA2008/Events_IABA.html, Pacific People (PDF)