Requirements are set both by the CIS program itself and by the Graduate Division of the University of Hawai`i at Manoa.
To be considered for admissions, the CIS program requires that applicants have the following background:
- A master's degree in one of the following fields or a closely related field:
- Information and Computer Sciences
- Library and Information Science
- Business Administration
- Knowledge of computing.
- Proficiency in English. If you are not a U.S. citizen and did not receive your Masters' degree from an English speaking institution, then a TOEFL score of at least 600 is required.
- Demonstrated potential for conducting independent research.
- Recent GRE or GMAT scores.
Graduate Division Requirements
The Graduate Division has its own requirements in addition to those of the CIS program. These include but are not limited to:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education.
- Above average academic performance, as demonstrated by a B (3.0) average or its equivalent for undergraduate and graduate course work.
It is important that you carefully read the information on the Graduate Division Admissions page as well as this page.
The CIS program admits students only for the fall semester of each year. Applicants are encouraged to file early to be certain all materials are received by the February 1 deadline.