- The First Taint of Civilization: A History
of the Caroline and Marshall Islands in Pre-Colonial Days, 1521–1885,
by Francis X Hezel, SJ (1983).
the Waves Fall: A New South Sea Islands History from First Settlement
to Colonial Rule, by K R Howe (1984), UH Press edition out
of print. Copublished with Allen & Unwin, Sydney.
- Wealth of the Solomons: A History of a
Pacific Archipelago, 1800–1978, by Judith A
- Nan’yō: The Rise and Fall of the Japanese in
Micronesia, 1885–1945, by Mark R Peattie (1988).
a Stone Altar: A History of the Island of Pohnpei to 1890,
by David Hanlon (1988), out of print. PDF available via the UH Manoa's
digital repository, ScholarSpace.
Lives: Papua, 1874–1914, by Diane Langmore (1989), out of
print. PDF available via the UH Manoa's digital archive, ScholarSpace.
Traditions: Writings on the Atoll
Culture of the Gilbert Islands, by Arthur F
Grimble, edited by H E Maude (1989), out of print but ebook available.
Pacific Theater: Island Representations of World War II,
edited by Geoffrey M White and Lamont Lindstrom (1989). Copublished
with Melbourne University Press, out of print. PDF available via the UH
Manoa's digital archive, ScholarSpace.
- Bellona Island Beliefs and Rituals,
by Torben Monberg (1991).
- Not the Way It Really Was: Constructing the
Tolai Past, by Klaus Neumann (1992).
- Broken Waves: A History of the Fiji Islands
in the Twentieth Century, by Brij V Lal (1992).
- Woven Gods: Female Clowns and Power in Rotuma,
by Vilsoni Hereniko (1995).
- Strangers in Their Own Land: A Century of
Colonial Rule in the Caroline and Marshall Islands,
by Francix X Hezel, SJ (1995 [cloth] out of print; reissued [paper]
- Guardians of Marovo Lagoon: Practice, Place,
and Politics in Maritime Melanesia, by Edvard
- My Gun, My Brother: The World of the Papua
New Guinea Colonial Police, 1920–1960, by August I
K Kituai (1998).
- The People Trade: Pacific Island Laborers
and New Caledonia, 1865–1930, by Dorothy Shineberg
- Law and Order in a Weak State: Crime and
Politics in Papua New Guinea, by Sinclair Dinnen
- An Honorable Accord: The Covenant between
the Northern Mariana Islands and the United States,
by Howard P Willens and Deanne C Siemer (2001).
- Colonial Dis-Ease: US Navy and Health
Policies and the Chamorros of Guam, 1898–1941, by
Anne Perez Hattori (2004).
- Imagining the Other: The Representation of
the Papua New Guinean Subject, by Regis Tove
Stella (March 2007).
- Songs from
the Second Float: A Musical Ethnography of Takū Atoll, Papua New Guinea,
by Richard Moyle (July 2007).
- The Other Side: Ways of Being and Place in
Vanuatu, by John Patrick Taylor (July 2008)
- Jean-Marie Tjibaou, Kanak Witness to the
World: An Intellectual Biography, by Eric Waddell
- Repositioning the Missionary: Rewriting the
Histories of Colonialism, Native Catholicism, and Indigeneity in Guam,
by Vicente M Diaz (July 2010)
- Cultures of Commemoration: The Politics of
War, Memory, and History in the Mariana Islands,
by Keith L Camacho (February 2011)
- Colonialism, Maasina Rule, and the Origins
Kastom, by David Akin (September 2013)
- The Kanak Awakening: The Rise of Nationalism
in New Caledonia, by David Chappell (November 2013)
- Remaking Pacific Pasts: History, Memory, and
Identity in Contemporary Theater from Oceania, by
Diana Looser (November 2014)
| outreach | resources | publications
news & events
| about the center |
contact | home | text only site
© 2005, UHM, Center for Pacific
Island Studies. | Site Credits