General Pacific: Online Resources
General Background Information
- US Central Intelligence Agency. The World Factbook. Site contains information on history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues.
- US Department of State. Background Notes. Site contains information on resources, the economy, government, climate, and population.
- Students of the World: Countries of the World. Site contains graphs and detailed information on geography, climate, population, and economy. Information is in metric.
- Wikipedia. Site contains information for Pacific nations and territories and for individual islands.
- US Department of the Interior, Office of Insular Affairs. All OIA Jurisdictions. Site contains information on Guam, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia (which includes Chuuk).
- Google Earth. Site contains satellite images of locations in the Pacific and makes it possible for viewers to see villages and landforms. It includes photographs of people, houses, and landforms posted by viewers.
- World Weather and Climate Information. Site has information on temperature and precipitation. Measurements are metric, but may be converted, using an online metric converter.
- Secretariat of the Pacific Community Applied Geoscience and Technology Division (SOPAC). Pacific Island Country Water Profiles. Site contains information for Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Sāmoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. This site may be too technical for students; however, there is useful summary information on land area, elevation, and average rainfall for the countries listed.
Other Online Resources
Resources on Specific Islands
General Pacific: Print Resources
- Pacific Nations and Territories: The Islands of Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia (Fourth Edition), by Reilly Ridgell. Honolulu: Bess Press.
- Student Atlas of Guam, by Danko Taborosi and David T Vann. Honolulu: Bess Press. 2006. This student text contains many maps and photos, as well as other useful and clearly conveyed information.
oceania | academic
| people | outreach | resources | publications
news & events | about
the center | contact | home | text
© 2005, UHM, Center
for Pacific Island Studies. | Site Credits