Minor in Chinese
At least 15 credits must be taken from the following list of courses, with at least 6 credits coming from courses in Category I, "Language Skills Courses," and 9 credits coming from courses in Category II, "Non-Language Skills Courses":
Category I: Language Skills Courses
- Chinese 301-302 (or 303*) Third-Level Mandarin (4-4 [or 8]) (Pre: 202)
- Chinese 311-312 Mandarin Conversation (3-3) (Pre: 202)
- Chinese 331**, 332** Web-Based Advanced Chinese Listening and Writing (3, 3) (Pre: 301 or concurrent)
- Chinese 401-402 (or 404*) Fourth-Level Mandarin (4-4 [or 8]) (Pre: 302)
- Chinese 411-412 Advanced Mandarin Conversation (3-3) (Pre: 302)
- Chinese 421B, C Chinese Translation (3) (Pre: 402)
- Chinese 441 Web-Based Fourth Year Reading and Writing: Advanced Topics I (3) (Pre: 401 or concurrent)
- Chinese 461 Introduction to Classical Chinese (3) (Pre: 302)
- Chinese 485, 486 Selected Readings in Chinese (3, 3) (Pre: 402)
- Chinese 491 Oral Fluency Through Chinese Films (3) (Pre: 402)
*Chinese 303 and 404 are accelerated versions of 301-302 and 401-402, respectively.
**A maximum of 3 credits from the Chn 331/332 series are applicable towards these requirements.
Category II: Non-Language Skills Courses
- Chinese 451, 452 Structure of Chinese (3,3) (Pre: 202)
- Chinese 455 Chinese Pragmatics and Discourse (3) (Pre: 202)
- Chinese 456 Chinese Semantics and Communication (3) (Pre: 402)
- Chinese 470 Language and Culture of China (3) (Pre: 401)
- EALL 361 Chinese Literature: Ancient (3) (Pre: One DH or DL)
- EALL 362 Chinese Literature: Pre-Modern (3) (Pre: One DH or DL)
- EALL 363B,C* 20th-Century Chinese Literature and Culture (3,3) (Pre: see Note 1)
- EALL 364 20th-Century Chinese Literature by Chinese Women (3) (Pre: see Note 1) (Cross-listed as WS 346, ASAN 364)
- EALL 365B,C* Traditional Chinese Fiction in Translation (3,3) (Pre: see Note 1)
- EALL 366 The City in Modern Chinese Literature and Visual Media (3) (Pre: One DH or DL course)
- EALL 473 Chinese Diaspora and Visual Media (3) (Pre: any 300- or 400-level DL or DH course) (Cross-listed as ASAN 473)
- EALL 474 Transnational Chinese Popular Culture (3) (Pre: any 300- or 400-level DL or DH course) (Cross-listed as ASAN 474)
- EALL 476 Perspectives on Chinese Cinema (3) (Pre: One DH or DL course)
At least one course from each cluster (linguistics and literature) must be taken.
- Pre-requisites for EALL courses: EALL 361, 362, 363 B,C, 364, 365: one DH or DL course, or consent
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade, and each must be passed with a grade of 'C' or better. In addition, the GPA for all courses together must be 3.0 or higher.
- Native speakers of Chinese are not allowed to take language skills courses, so they must take all 15 credits from Category II, "Non-Language Skills Courses".
- All courses must be taken within the University of Hawaii system (with at least three taken at UH-Manoa), or else through a study abroad or exchange program which is directly administered by an official UH-Manoa organ (e.g., the Study Abroad Center, the Center for Chinese Studies, etc.) and which is officially recognized by the Chinese Section of UH-Manoa's Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures.
- Students who have completed at least Chinese 202 or its equivalent, and who have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher are eligible to declare a minor in Chinese. To apply, contact the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (Moore Hall #382; 956-8940).