Minor in Korean

Rev. 11/07


At total of 15 credits must be taken from the following list of courses, with 6 credits coming from courses in Category I ("Language Skills Courses"), 3 credits from courses in Category II-a ("Non-Language Skills Courses: Linguistics Courses"), and 6 credits from courses in Category II-b ("Non-Language Skills Courses: Literature/Other Courses"):

Category I: Language Skills Courses

(at least 6 credits)

  • KOR 301-302 Third-Level Korean (3-3 cr.) (Pre: 202 for 301; 301 for 302)
  • KOR 307 Readings in Chinese Characters (3) (Pre: 202)
  • KOR 308 (pre: KOR 307 or consent)
  • KOR 380 (pre: KOR 302 or consent)
  • KOR 401-402 Fourth-Level Korean (3-3 cr.) (Pre: 302 for 401; 401 for 402)
  • KOR 420 Korean Composition (3) (Pre: 402)
  • KOR 425 Selected Readings in Korean (3) (Pre: 402) (repeatable once)
  • KOR 480 Korean Oral Proficiency through Film (3) (Pre: 402)

Category II: Non-Language Skills Courses

a. Linguistics Courses (3 credits)

  • KOR 451 Structure of Korean (3) (Pre: 302)
  • KOR 452 Structure of Korean (3) (Pre: 302)

b. Literature/Other Courses (6 credits)

  • EALL 281 Korean Literature in Translation: Traditional (3)
  • EALL 282 Korean Literature in Translation: Modern (3)
  • EALL 384 Modern Korean Women Writers and Culture (3) (Pre: 282)
  • KOR 470 Language and Culture of Korea (3) (Pre: 402)
  • KOR 493 Introduction to Traditional Korean Literature (3) (Pre: 402)
  • KOR 494 Introduction to Modern Korean Literature (3) (Pre: 402)


  1. All courses must be taken for a letter grade, and each must be passed with a grade of 'C' or better. In addition, the GPA for all courses together must be 3.0 or higher.
  2. Native speakers of Korean are not allowed to take language skills courses, so they must take all 15 credits from Category II ( A Non-Language Skills Courses).
  3. All courses must be taken within the University of Hawaii system (with at least three taken at UH-Manoa), or else through a study abroad or exchange program which is directly administered by an official UH-Manoa organ (e.g., the Study Abroad Center, the Center for Korean Studies, etc.) and which is officially recognized by the Korean Section of UH-Manoa's Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures.
  4. Students who have completed at least Korean 202 or its equivalent, and who have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher are eligible to declare a minor in Korean. To apply, contact the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (Moore Hall #382; 956-8940).

Brief summary of EALL degree requirements on the UH catalog