Minor in Korean
At total of 15 credits must be taken from the following list of courses, with 6 credits coming from courses in Category I ("Language Skills Courses"), 3 credits from courses in Category II-a ("Non-Language Skills Courses: Linguistics Courses"), and 6 credits from courses in Category II-b ("Non-Language Skills Courses: Literature/Other Courses"):
Category I: Language Skills Courses
(at least 6 credits)
- KOR 301-302 Third-Level Korean (3-3 cr.) (Pre: 202 for 301; 301 for 302)
- KOR 307 Readings in Chinese Characters (3) (Pre: 202)
- KOR 308 (pre: KOR 307 or consent)
- KOR 380 (pre: KOR 302 or consent)
- KOR 401-402 Fourth-Level Korean (3-3 cr.) (Pre: 302 for 401; 401 for 402)
- KOR 420 Korean Composition (3) (Pre: 402)
- KOR 425 Selected Readings in Korean (3) (Pre: 402) (repeatable once)
- KOR 480 Korean Oral Proficiency through Film (3) (Pre: 402)
Category II: Non-Language Skills Courses
a. Linguistics Courses (3 credits)
- KOR 451 Structure of Korean (3) (Pre: 302)
- KOR 452 Structure of Korean (3) (Pre: 302)
b. Literature/Other Courses (6 credits)
- EALL 281 Korean Literature in Translation: Traditional (3)
- EALL 282 Korean Literature in Translation: Modern (3)
- EALL 384 Modern Korean Women Writers and Culture (3) (Pre: 282)
- KOR 470 Language and Culture of Korea (3) (Pre: 402)
- KOR 493 Introduction to Traditional Korean Literature (3) (Pre: 402)
- KOR 494 Introduction to Modern Korean Literature (3) (Pre: 402)
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade, and each must be passed with a grade of 'C' or better. In addition, the GPA for all courses together must be 3.0 or higher.
- Native speakers of Korean are not allowed to take language skills courses, so they must take all 15 credits from Category II ( A Non-Language Skills Courses).
- All courses must be taken within the University of Hawaii system (with at least three taken at UH-Manoa), or else through a study abroad or exchange program which is directly administered by an official UH-Manoa organ (e.g., the Study Abroad Center, the Center for Korean Studies, etc.) and which is officially recognized by the Korean Section of UH-Manoa's Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures.
- Students who have completed at least Korean 202 or its equivalent, and who have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher are eligible to declare a minor in Korean. To apply, contact the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (Moore Hall #382; 956-8940).