FROM: David Pence, UH Diving Safety Officer
RE: Scheduling Medical Examinations
UH Diving Safety Regulations require that an Initial UH Diving Medical Exam must be conducted prior to the start of in-water activities, and a Periodic exam at proscribed intervals thereafter, as described in the UH Diving Safety Manual. The exam must include all tests stipulated in the Manual (also listed in Manual Appendix 2) and must be conducted by a licensed Medical Doctor.
It is recommended that the MD have training or knowledge of diving and hyperbaric medicine. A list of Hawaii MDs with this knowledge identified by UHDSP is in the UH Diving Manual, Appendix 13. For divers visiting from outside Hawaii, you may be referred to knowledgeable MDs by calling the Divers Alert Network medical information line, at (919) 684-2948, ext. 222
Divers may have the exam conducted by their personal physician if they prefer, so long as UH Diving Medical Exam requirements are met. If this is not possible or desired for some reason, UHDSP has made arrangements with the Straub Occupational Medicine Clinic to conduct the exams for UH Divers at a reduced corporate rate. Current rates for divers under the age of 40 are approximately $199 for the Initial Exam and $137 for the Periodic follow-up. Current rates for divers over the age of 40 are approximately $287 for the Initial Exam and $225 for the Periodic follow-up. Additional tests may be required by the physician to clear the patient for diving. The most common (and expensive) of these is a Treadmill Stress EKG Test, which costs about $207. The TST is required by Straub MDs as part of the first exam over age 40, and every 4 years thereafter.
Method for Scheduling an exam at Straub Occupational Medicine Clinic:
1. Obtain a set of UH Medical Forms: If you cant download the forms from this web site (see below), email UHDSP at email@example.com for a set.
2. Determine Payment Method: If a UH department is being billed, obtain a Requisition or Purchase Order number from your fiscal officer. If you are going to pay personally, you should make sure to tell the receptionist this at the time you schedule your exam. You will be asked to pay or present a PO when you arrive for the exam. Straub will accept personal checks or Credit Cards.
3. Call Straub Appointments Desk at 529-4949 to schedule your exam. You will need the following information: Name, Birthdate, SSN, and the desired appointment time/date. (NOTE: The exam takes 2-3 hours. Morning exams are best since you must fast for 12 hours prior to the appointment. It is also good to have a backup date/time in case they are full at your first choice). You will also be asked whether you need an Initial or Periodic Exam. Initial Exams are required the first time, and for the first exam after age 40. Periodic Exams are required every 5 years under age 40 for most divers, and every 3 years for divers between ages 40-59 and for those divers conducting dives requiring staged decompression. Then every 2 years for ages 60 and above.
4. Complete the Medical History section of the UH Medical Forms and take all forms with you to the exam. After the exam, Straub will return the completed forms to the Diving Safety Program to be included in your permanent file. This takes about 5-8 working days after the exam.
5. Arrive 15-30 minutes early. Straub Clinic is located at 800 S. King Street, 3rd floor in Honolulu. This is on the mountain-side of King Street, just past TheBus station & Scan Design. Parking is alongside of the building.
TO DOWNLOAD ALL MEDICAL FORMS, CLICK HERE (Adobe PDF)
Diving Safety Program
Environmental Health and Safety Office
All contents © 1996, 1998 EHSO/University of Hawai`i