FIRE EVACUATION AND NOTIFICATION PROCEDURES
WHEN THE BUILDING FIRE ALARM IS ACTIVATED, OCCUPANTS WILL:
- Evacuate the building without delay.
- Notify Campus Security via Emergency Call Box or x66911.
- When evacuating the building, move away from the building entrance and clear building access for emergency response personnel.
- Arrange to have a specific location away from the building where people are to meet after evacuation. Account for all department/office personnel, students and visitors.
- Information regarding person with disabilities who need evacuation assistance should be given to the first responding Campus Security officers. Honolulu Fire Department personnel have training and equipment to assist with the evacuation of wheelchair users and other mobility impaired persons. Others who may be ambulatory may be assisted from the building, if it can be done safely.
- To evacuate persons with disabilities who are elevator dependent (when the elevator may not be used), i.e., those with wheelchairs, cardiac and/or pulmonary disabilities, crutches, canes, walkers, etc, please use the following procedure (individual departments should evaluate their situations and may adopt alternate procedures if necessary):
- Escort the person to the closest stairwell or “area of rescue assistance.”
- If possible, assist the person into the stairwell landing and activate emergency call equipment, if present. If no emergency call equipment is present, assign someone to inform Campus Security that there is a person with a disability needing evacuation assistance and specify the person’s access/evacuation needs.
- Remain with that person until she/he is rescued by evacuation personnel (Honolulu Fire Department).