All admitted UH-Manoa students who have English as a second language are required to clear the ELI. There are two ways to get ELI clearance:
- If you meet any of the exemption criteria, you will be exempted from the ELI and you won’t need to take the ELI Placement Test. (For a list of exemption criteria, click here.) You may be required to provide documentation to proves you meet exemption criteria. If you think you meet any of the exemption criteria, please contact the ELI (by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at Moore Hall, Room 570).
If you do not meet any exemption criteria, you must take the ELI Placement Test. (There are no exceptions to this. Based on the scores of your test, you may be placed into intermediate or advanced ELI courses, or you may be exempted in one or more of the three skill areas the test covers.)
- If you do not meet the exemption criteria, then you willl have a “registration hold”. This means that you will not be able to register for classes until you have signed up for the ELI Placement Test, either online or in person. After we receive and confirm your registration information, we will remove the registration hold. Please allow five working days for the hold to be removed.
ELI Placement Tests for Fall 2018 will be:
- Tuesday, August 14, 2018. 8:15 am – 1:00 pm
- Thursday, August 16, 2018. 8:15 am – 1:00 pm
- Tuesday, August 21, 2018. 4:45 – 9:30 pm [after the semester has begun; limited to students who must arrive late in Hawaii due to flight or visa issues]
To register online for the ELI Placement Test, you will need to fill out a form, which should take about 10-15 minutes.
IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO REGISTER FOR THE ELI TEST IN PERSON:
WHERE: ELI OFFICE (MOORE HALL, ROOM 570)
WHEN: MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY, 8:00-4:30 (except holidays)