Guidelines for Completing Proposals

1. Orientation: Arrange for an orientation at the Interdisciplinary Studies Program office (Krauss Hall, Room 116, Ph. 808-956-7297). They will clarify program requirements for Interdisciplinary Studies/Environmental Studies.

2. Course List: Make a list of the courses that you have completed.

3. Outline: Briefly outline your general interests in the environmental field. This may include coursework taken, work experience or simply interest in environmentally related topics such as environmental law, planning, forestry management, education or resource conservation.

4. Advisor: Meet with the Environmental Studies Advisor to discuss the general focus of your degree proposal and the courses you wish to take for your Environmental Studies Major Equivalent. Bring your transcripts or course list and outline with you to this meeting.

5. Draft Proposal: Prepare a rough draft of the Environmental Studies Major Equivalent proposal. The first page of the proposal is a brief narrative describing your major. It should follow the form prescribed by the Interdisciplinary Studies Program. The second page of the proposal lists all the courses you have taken or will take for the major equivalent. Typically, the preparation of your proposal will involve two or more meetings with your advisors: a) when you submit your rough draft and b) subsequent corrections and adjustments as recommended.

6. Core Requirements and Prerequisites: a) Interdisciplinary Studies/Environmental Studies students must meet the General Education Core Requirements, see UHM General Catalog. b) Substitutions may be allowed for some prerequisites. Please check with the EVS Advisor.

7. Final Proposal: Prepare the typed, final version of the proposal. Have the final proposal signed by the Environmental Studies and Interdisciplinary Studies Advisors. Make three copies of your final signed proposal and submit them for final review to Interdisciplinary Studies.

Your proposal must be completed before you register for your final 21 credits of course work in your major. Most students avoid any problems with this rule by completing proposals and declaring their majors during their sophomore or junior years. We recommend that juniors attend a Junior Matriculation Planning (JUMP) session at the Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Student Academic Services (Hawaii Hall 124, 956-7519). Please provide a copy of your JUMP session to the EVS Advisor.

Click here for a detailed example of how to write an IS Proposal (page 3 of the PDF document).

Sixty (60) non-introductory credits (300 level or above) are required to graduate.

You may substitute courses in your major concentration due to schedule conflicts or course cancellations. Course substitutions must be approved in advance and before classes begin by the Environmental Studies and Interdisciplinary Studies Advisors. Course Change Forms are available at the Environmental Studies and Interdisciplinary Studies offices.