Federal and State Scholarships and Grants

A grant is a type of gift aid that does not require repayment. Each grant has different requirements for eligibility. Completion of the FAFSA is required to be considered for the specific grant programs listed below. You may quality for one or more of these federal or state grants as part of your need-based financial aid award:

We automatically consider your eligibility for federal grant funds when reviewing your financial aid application.

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell grants are gift assistance awarded to eligible undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree who demonstrate significant financial need based on the information provided on your FAFSA. The amount of your Pell grant award is based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), Cost of Attendance (COA), enrollment status, and whether you have or haven't reached your Lifetime Eligibility for Pell Grant limit.

The maximum award amount is given for any Pell Grant eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001. You must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

NEW:  Lifetime Eligibility for Pell Grant
New regulations effective for the 2012-2013 academic year limits the receipt of a Pell Grant to a lifetime limit of up to 6 full-time years (600%). The 600% total eligibility applies at all schools and colleges. In addition, you must also meet and maintain satisfactory academic progress standards to remain eligible each year.  This 600% limit will be tracked by the U.S. Department of Education.  If you would like to review your eligibility, please go to the grants section of the National Student Loan Data System (http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/) for more information

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for a SEOG award. The maximum annual UHM award is $2,000 and is dependent upon your enrollment status. You must be enrolled at least half-time to receive SEOG. Funding is limited.

State of Hawaiʻi B Plus Scholarship

The State of Hawaiʻi B Plus Scholarship is available to undergraduate students who graduated from a State of Hawai'i public high school after 2005 and earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher based on high school transcripts. Students must have completed a rigorous high school curriculum and demonstrate financial need based on information provided on your FAFSA. The maximum annual UHM award is $2,000 and requires full-time enrollment to receive this scholarship. Depending upon available funding, scholarships may be renewed annually for students who maintain satisfactory academic progress up to four years. Funding is limited.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)

The New Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4000 per year for Undergraduate and Graduate students who intend to teach full time in high need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. The Federal Student Aid TEACH Grant information is available at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/teach external-link icon.

Teaching Obligation – Agreement to Serve

In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must be a highly-qualified, full-time teacher in a high-need subject area for at least four years at a school serving low-income students (Title I schools). As a recipient of a TEACH Grant, you must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant. The Agreement to Serve is available at: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/launchTeach.action external-link icon

IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of TEACH Grants you received, will be converted into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay the U.S. Department of Education and you will be charged interest from the date the first grant was disbursed.

To be eligible for a TEACH Grant, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen
  • Be enrolled as a Classified, degree-seeking student in a program of study in the College of Education at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
  • Must be completing the coursework necessary to begin a career in teaching
  • Meet one of the following academic achievement requirements:
    • Score above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test (example: SAT, GRE)
    • Graduate from high school with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 to receive a grant as a freshman, or
    • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 at UH Mānoa
  • Complete TEACH Grant counseling and sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS) at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/launchTeach.action external-link icon. Be sure to respond to requests by the U.S. Department of Education confirming your continuing intention to meet the teaching obligation.

High-Need Fields:

  • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
  • Foreign Language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading Specialist
  • Science
  • Special Education
  • Other identified teacher shortage areas as of the time you begin teaching in that field. To access the U.S. Department of Education's Annual Teacher Shortage Areas Nationwide Listing, please go to http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/pol/tsa.doc external-link icon