UH System Common Scholarship Application Requirements
Have a question about UH System Scholarships?
Please contact the UH System Scholarship Office at email@example.com.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Students applying for the UH System Scholarships are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
Complete the UH System Common Scholarship Application via Scholarship Manager. Deadline to submit the UH System Common Scholarship Application is March 1st at 4:00 pm HST. It is recommended that you not wait until the last minute to submit your application; we cannot predict technical delays due to server volume.
You are required to submit a personal statement for the UH System Common Scholarship Application. Complete your personal statement in a Word document or PDF, then upload or copy and paste it into Scholarship Manager. Your personal statement should include the following, if applicable:
- Why you think you deserve a scholarship;
- How these scholarships have helped and/or will help in your education;
- Your educational and career goals;
- Any accomplishments, including any honors or awards;
- Current employment;
- Any extracurricular activities related to Japanese language or culture;
- Your personal background, including any highlights, special situations in your life or other information that you want the Scholarship Committee to take into consideration (i.e. Returning to school later in life, raising children while pursuing a degree, etc.); and
- Any barriers to your obtaining your educational goals and how you plan to overcome them (i.e. Socio-economic or educational disadvantages).
Completing an essay is optional, but it is strongly recommended that you complete the essays. Some scholarships may have a particular subject specified in the scholarship criteria.
The essay does not replace your personal statement. If you will be completing an essay, complete it in a Word document or PDF, then upload it or copy and paste it to Scholarship Manager.
Topics for essays are as follows:
- Community or Volunteer Service—– Complete an essay describing what activities you participated in (i.e. any activities including volunteer, leadership, membership and community services in social, school or community organizations which demonstrate your willingness to give back or contribute to your community).
- Commitment to Heath Care—Complete an essay describing what activities related to Health Care that you participated in (i.e. demonstrated commitment to health care, volunteer work, employment in health services, enrolled in a degree program in any area of health fields; career goals and plans in the health care field regardless of area of study; how you intend to impact the health of your community in the State of Hawaii.)
- 442nd Veterans Endowed Scholarship—Complete an essay describing the role of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team of the United States Army in World War II and their legacy.
Letters of Recommendation
As a courtesy to your recommenders, it is advised that you request permission to use them as recommenders and advise them of the deadline to submit their Letter of Recommendation through Scholarship Manager. You will need an email address from the recommender. Examples of recommenders include past or present teachers/professors, employers, religious leaders, community leaders, and organization leaders. Letters from relatives and friends will not be accepted.
The Letters of Recommendation are due by March 7th at 4:00 pm HST online via Scholarship Manager.
- Incoming Freshman Students: Have your official high school transcript(s) sent directly to the UH System Scholarship Office. If you attended more than one high school, please request a transcript from each of the high schools.
- Transfer Students: Have your official college/university transcript(s) sent directly to the UH System Scholarship Office. If you attended more than one college/university, please request a transcript from each college/university.
- Continuing UH Students (w/less than 12 credits at UH)::
- If you have less than 12 credits completed at UH or any college/university, please have your official high school transcripts sent directly to the UH System Scholarship Office.
- If you have at least 12 credits completed at another college/university but have less than 12 credits at UH, have your official college/university transcript sent directly to the UH System Scholarship Office.
- Continuing UH Students (w/at least 12 credits at UH): If you have at least 12 credits at your home institution, you do NOT need to have transcripts sent to our office
Please have your official transcripts sent to the UH System Scholarship Office postmarked by March 1st to:
University of Hawaii
Office for Student Affairs
ATTN: UH System Scholarship Office
2444 Dole Street
Bachman Hall 109H
Honolulu, HI 96822