Skip to main content | Skip to main navigation



FSIS website under construction
Starting September 20, 2013, we'll be making changes to the format of our website. We ask for your patience as this may be a lengthy process. Contact Signe at if you have problems with website functionality or navigation.

New I-94 procedure
From April 30, 2013, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin implementing a paperless I-94 procedure at U.S. air and sea ports of entry.

EB immigrant visa availability
U.S. Department of State's monthly Visa Bulletin

J-1 & J-2 Extension Requests

STEP 1: Determine extension eligibility

STEP 2: Prepare DS-2019 extension request

STEP 3: DS-2019 issuance

STEP 1: Determine extension eligibility [top]

Generally, an exchange visitor (EV) may stay in the U.S. in J-1 status only for the period on his/her DS-2019 plus an additional 30 days. EVs may not conduct exchange program activities during this 30-day “grace period.” Therefore, if an EV needs more time to achieve his/her program objectives, his/her UH sponsoring unit must submit a DS-2019 extension request to FSIS. If an extension can be granted, FSIS will issue a new DS-2019 for the extension period.

An EV’s allowable extension period depends on the UH unit’s appointment/program, certification of financial support, and the maximum program durations for the specific exchange visitor category.

Financial support

The EV must be able to show evidence of sufficient financial support for the extension period.

  • EV: At least $2000 per month
  • Spouse: Additional $700 per month
  • Child: Additional $500 per month per child

Maximum program durations

  • Professors and Research Scholars: 5 years
  • Short-Term Scholars: 6 months
  • Specialists: 1 year

An extension is not possible if:

  • The EV has completed his/her program
  • The EV’s 30-day grace period has begun
  • The EV ceases, interrupts, or otherwise terminates his/her program

If the EV is no longer in valid program status, he/she must first be reinstated to valid program status before an extension may be granted. Requests for reinstatement must be made to the U.S. State Department by the FSIS Responsible Officer.

STEP 2: Prepare DS-2019 extension request [top]

UH sponsoring units should submit DS-2019 extension requests to FSIS via the Administrative/Personnel Officer (AO/PO) for the college/school/unit. FSIS must receive the extension request from the AO/PO no later than 45 days before the DS-2019 end date in case we need to clarify or obtain information.

  1. UH sponsoring department prepares the DS-2019 Extension Request Form and all attachments.
  2. UH dept sends the complete request to the AO/PO for the college/school/research unit.
  3. The AO/PO reviews the request and forwards the complete request to FSIS, Attn: Kathy, PSB 104 or Janet, PSB 106.

STEP 3: DS-2019 issuance [top]

If all requirements for an extension are met, FSIS will generate a DS-2019 for the requested extension period for the exchange visitor (EV) and for each J-2 dependent. FSIS will notify the AO/PO when the original DS-2019(s) and enclosed photocopies of each DS-2019 are ready to be picked up. The sponsoring unit should transmit the original DS-2019(s) and photocopies to the EV.

Exchange visitor’s DS-2019: The EV should sign and date both the original and copy of his/her DS-2019 and return the signed copy to FSIS.

J-2 dependent’s DS-2019:
The J-2 spouse or child over 14 should sign and date both the original and copy of his/her DS-2019 and return the signed copy to FSIS. If a DS-2019 was issued for a J-2 child under 14, the EV should sign and date the original and copy of the DS-2019 for the J-2 child and return the signed copy to FSIS.