Skip to main content | Skip to main navigation



FSIS website under construction
Starting September 20, 2013, we'll be making changes to the format of our website. We ask for your patience as this may be a lengthy process. Contact Signe at if you have problems with website functionality or navigation.

New I-94 procedure
From April 30, 2013, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin implementing a paperless I-94 procedure at U.S. air and sea ports of entry.

EB immigrant visa availability
U.S. Department of State's monthly Visa Bulletin

J-1 Information Form Instructions



Purpose of this form

Biographical information

Current U.S. home address

Primary site of activity

Additional site(s) of activity

Exchange Visitor category

Exchange program information

Financial support information

SEVIS ID # [top]

An individual will have a SEVIS ID # if he/she was previously in the U.S. as an F-1 or M-1 student, F-2 or M-2 dependent, J-1 EV or J-2 dependent.

Purpose of this form [top]

Check off the appropriate box and provide any requested information.

Begin a new program: For new (initial) requests. If the EV's immediate family (spouse and unmarried children under 21) will accompany the EV as J-2 dependents, enter the number of J-2s in the “accompanied by __ immediate family members” blank. If no the EV will have no J-2 dependents, type “N/A” in the blank.

Extend an ongoing program with __ dependents: For extensions of an ongoing UH J-1 program. If J-2s need extensions, enter the number of dependents in the blank.

Transfer to UH: The EV is already in the U.S. in another J-1 exchange program and will transfer to UH sponsorship. A completed Request to Transfer J-1 Exchange Visitor to UH must be included with the request.

Replace a lost or damaged DS-2019 form: To replace a DS-2019 that has been lost or damaged.

Permit visitor’s (__ immediate family members) to enter the U.S. separately: For DS-2019s for J-2 dependents to enter the U.S. separately. A completed J-2 Dependent Information Form must be included with the request.

Reinstatement request to DOS: For reinstatement to J-1 status if an EV has failed to maintain legal status in the U.S.

Amend/update a previous DS-2019 form: For changes in funding, program dates and/or college/department/unit.

Biographical information [top]

Complete all items. Include copies of the EV’s and each dependent’s passport biodata and expiration page(s). This is necessary to verify spelling and accuracy of the information.
Name: Enter the EV’s full name as it appears on his/her passport, beginning with surname/family name, followed by first and middle names. If no middle name, leave blank. No initials.

Gender: Indicate “M” for male or “F” for female.

Date of birth: Enter the EV’s date of birth using the mm/dd/yyyy format (e.g. March 18, 1964 should be entered as 03/18/1964).

City & country of birth: Enter the EV’s city of birth. The province, prefecture, township, district, etc. may be used in place of the city in accordance with local custom or regulation requirements. Also enter the EV’s country of birth.

Country of citizenship: The EV’s country of citizenship may differ from his/her country of birth or country of legal permanent residence. The country of citizenship is usually the passport-issuing country.

Country of legal permanent residence: For most EVs, the country of legal permanent residence is the same as their country of citizenship. In some cases, people may have migrated from the country of birth and/or citizenship to another country. Do not assume that the country of birth, country of citizenship and country of legal permanent residence are the same. You should specifically request this information from the EV. The country of citizenship and country of legal permanent residence have a direct bearing on the applicability of the 2-year foreign residence requirement of the exchange visitor program regulations.

Institution/employer & position in home country: Enter the EV’s position in his/her home country and the organization/institution (e.g. Assistant Professor, Tokyo University).

Email: Provide the EV’s current email address.

Position Code: This code corresponds to the position in the EV’s home country. Please refer to the list of position codes to determine the correct code.

Family members: If the EV has a spouse and/or unmarried children under 21 years of age who will come to the U.S. at some point during the J-1 program duration as the EV's J-2 dependents, complete and submit the J-1 Dependent Information Form along with copies of each person's passport biodata/identification page. FSIS will issue DS-2019s for them to use for J-2 visa application and entry when they are ready to enter the U.S.

Current U.S. home address [top]

If the EV is already in the U.S., provide the street address of his/her current residence. Do not provide P.O. boxes in this field. This field may be left blank if he/she is outside the U.S. and will begin his/her program by being admitted in J-1 status at a U.S. port of entry.

Primary site of activity [top]

Indicate the UH campus, college and department, school or research unit and street address where the program activity will primarily take place. If the activity will be conducted at more than one site, enter the additional site in the next section. If the activity will primarily take place at a non-UH organization, enter the name and street address of the organization in these fields.


Additional site(s) of activity [top]

Indicate the UH campus, college and department, school or research unit and street address where additional program activity will take place. If the activity will take place at a non-UH organization, enter the name and street address of the organization in these fields. If there is more than one additional site, attach an addendum to the Request Form specifying the street addresses of the other site(s).


Exchange Visitor category [top]

Select the appropriate EV category. UH is only authorized to sponsor EVs in the categories specified on the J-1 Exchange Visitor Categories chart.

Exchange program information [top]

Complete all items.

Program start & end dates: Dates must coincide with the PNF, UH FSIS J-1 Stipend Form, Form 6 or consultant contract period. Use the mm/dd/yyyy format (e.g. 01/01/2000 for January 1, 2000). The period should not exceed the maximum duration of participation allowed for the exchange visitor category.

UH BOR position title: Select the BOR-approved UH position title for the EV’s position. Note:  “Research Scholar” is a J-1 category, not an official BOR title. See BORP, Chapter 9-2, Classification Plans and Compensation Schedules.

6-digit subject/field code: Enter the 6-digit code for the subject/field of activity which most closely describes the principal activity the EV will undertake. The codes and descriptions are listed on the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics website. If the subject/field is not listed, use the “General” code for the major subject field if the activity is of a generalized nature, such as an undergraduate studying physics. Use the “Miscellaneous” or “Other” specialty field if a topic is specific and does not appear on the list.

Subject/field title: Provide the title corresponding to the 6-digit subject/field code.

Financial support information [top]

The EV must be able to show evidence of sufficient financial support for the intended period:

  • $2000 per month for the exchange visitor
  • $700 per month for J-2 spouse
  • $500 per month for each J-2 child

Indicate the total estimated financial support (funding), including all personal monies, to be provided for the period requested on the DS-2019. Include such expenses as airfare, housing, per diem, stipend, salary, honorarium, etc.

For non-compensated appointments, also provide a copy of the PNF showing an appointment as a Visiting Colleague.

All amounts should be expressed in U.S. dollars. If the financial statements are in foreign currency, include a currency conversion to U.S. dollars.

Funding sources:

  • University of Hawaii (program sponsor) U.S. $ ______: Select and enter the total amount of funding if UH is the source of funds.  If UH is administering funds from the federal government specifically for the purpose of international exchange the “has” box should be checked. State funds and extramural research grants to UH (which could be used for any qualified employee) do not constitute U.S. government funding for international exchange purposes, so in most cases “HAS NOT” should be checked. Be sure to attach the appropriate documentation of funding (PNF, UH FSIS J-1 Stipend Form, Form 6 or consultant contract) to the request.
  • Other sources: If funds are received from other organizations or from private sources, the appropriate box(es) should be checked with the corresponding amounts entered. If funding is received from U.S. government agencies or international organizations, FSIS will enter the codes.
  • Personal funds: Enter the total amount of personal funds in U.S. dollars. If the financial statement is in foreign currency, include a currency conversion to U.S. dollars. Be sure to attach a certified bank statement to the request.