UH campus and system teams were asked to identify large scale/high impact strategies, develop tactics necessary to implement the strategies, and prioritize next steps. Teams are currently moving forward on implementing their plans.
- Focusing on increasing the students’ initial experience (hired outreach coordinator, retention specialist, etc.).
- Implemented mandatory new student orientation.
- For students placing in developmental courses, they are now required to take them in their first year.
- Accelerating developmental courses (combining ENG 22 and 100 to a four credit ENG 100 course) and implementing Stat-way.
- Developing new technical math courses for AAS programs.
- Hosted Donna Linderman who met with HGI team and other groups on campus, and with the general campus at an open presentation.
- Looking at the possibility of testing a “block” schedule based on Ms. Linderman’s CUNY model that would be based on a cohort model that incorporates “intrusive” advising/counseling
- Advertising two retention positions (one faculty and one APT).
- Designated a student success coordinator who will develop the retention office (with positions above) and build this into a larger student success initiative, which includes an early alert process that is currently live and available to faculty.
- Testing an embedded developmental education course in one section of English 100.
||Summit II, Oct. 2012 (.pdf)