- About the UH Information Security Program
- Policies & Compliance
- Information Security for Research
- Information Security for Faculty & Staff
- Information Security for Students
- UH Information Security Awareness Training
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
Security Tip of the Month
- This Month's Security Tip
- Security Tip of the Month Archive
This page includes UH security resources and tools for UH faculty & staff.
Click here for third-party security resources and tools.
UH Resources & ToolsGeneral UH ITS and InfoSec-related resources and tools for reference. Includes links to Antivirus and computer scanning softwares.
- UH ITS
Visit the UH Information Technology & Services website for more information on computing in the UH system.
- Secure UH Software Download Site
Active UH Faculty, Staff, and Students may download a copy of McAfee Antivirus free of charge here.
- University of Hawai'i File Drop Service
Secure File Sharing System for users affiliated with the UH system.
- About UH File Drop
More information on how to securely transfer files using the UH File Drop Service.
- ITS OpenVAS Vulnerability Scanning System (Single Machine)
This scanning system will test your computer for possible weaknesses that may make it susceptible to intrusion.
- ITS OpenVAS Vulnerability Scanning System (Request to Scan Range)
Using this system will allow you to scan multiple networked computers for open ports and other vulnerabilities.
- Installing and Using Find_SSNs on Linux and Solaris
Find_SSNs is a piece of software developed by Virginia Tech to search computer files for Social Security and Credit Card numbers.
- Getting Your PC Unblocked on the UH Network
Information on how to unblock a virus-infected PC on the UH Network.
- UH VPN Service
Information on how to utilize the UH Virtual Private Network (VPN) Service.
- Presentation Resources
Find recent presentations and other security-related resources developed by the UH Information Security Team here.
- Information Security Risk Assessment Survey
Protecting Your DevicesUH AskUs articles containing information on best practices for securing your computing devices.
- Securing Your Computer & Protecting Your Information
Important information on how to keep your computer and sensitive information safe and secure.
- Securing Your Desktop Computer
Take these precautions to secure your desktop computer and to protect it from viruses and other compromises.
- Setting Up Encryption (Windows/Mac)
Learn about how to encrypt sensitive data on your computer.
- Securely Deleting Electronic Information
Simply deleting is not enough - learn about how to permanently erase information on your devices and storage media.
- How to Securely Delete Electronic Information in Windows
Information on how to securely and permanently erase electronic information on Windows computer systems.
- Security of Web Transactions
Information on web transactions and how to safely submit private information on the internet.
- Best Practices for Laptop Users
Important practices to keep in mind when using or traveling with a laptop.
- Securing your Smartphones
Information on how to protect the information on your smartphone.
- Securing your iPad or Tablet Device
Information on how to protect the information on your tablet.
Protecting Sensitive DataUH resources regarding protecting personal and sensitive information on your computer, including information on using Identity Finder.
- Protecting Sensitive Information at UH
This article contains guidelines on how to secure any personal or sensitive information on the UH system.
- Server Registration
Register your server to be scanned for personal and sensitive information and security vulnerabilities.
- Getting Started with Identity Finder (Windows/Mac)
Learn about how you can use Identity Finder, a software product that searches a computer for sensitive information.
- UH Personal Information System survey
If you retain any personal information for official UH business, you must report any repositories or collections to this survey.
- Data Breach Notification Letter (Template)
This article contains the specific, required elements to be included in a breach notification letter sent to the individuals affected by the breach.
- Security (or lack of it) on the Internet
Learn about spam and phishing on the internet and how you can secure your computer to minimize them.
Cyber Safety Tips & GuidelinesResources with important recommendations for keeping your information safe online.
- If you suspect that your account has been compromised...
Learn about what to do when your account has been compromised and how to prevent future compromises.
- Password Guidelines
Creating strong passwords for your accounts is just one step in securing your computer and information. Here are some tips and tricks on how to create strong and secure passwords.
Cloud Computing InformationGeneral information on Cloud Computing and its role in education.
- Things you should know about cloud security
Learn about cloud computing, how it works, and the importance of it in higher education.
- Cloud Computing in Education (video)
This video explains the benefits and risks of cloud computing in educational institutions and includes guidelines for safe cloud computing.