Windows 7/8: End of Support Advisory
Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020 and will no longer provide security updates for Windows 7 after that date. See https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle . Running an unsupported, unpatched OS is a security risk to all users and devices on the UH network.
As a result, ITS will be ending support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 on December 31, 2019 and recommends that UH users migrate to a newer, supported operating system (OS), such as Windows 10, before the end of 2019. UH administrative users are advised to use Windows 10 Pro or Education.
If your hardware is capable of running Windows 10:
(see System Requirements)
- For UH-owned computers: UH departments can purchase a Windows 10 Pro Upgrade License or Windows 10 Education Upgrade License from the ITS Site License Office (https://www.hawaii.edu/sitelic).
- For computers not owned by UH: Users must purchase a license of Windows 10. The Windows 10 license can be purchased through an authorized reseller.
If your hardware is *not* capable of running Windows 10:
- Plan to purchase a new computer with Windows 10 before the end of 2019. Contact your department/college IT specialist or ITS for assistance in purchasing a new computer.
- ITS Computer Recommendations: https://hawaii.edu/askus/585
Windows 10 FAQs: https://www.hawaii.edu/sitelic/microsoft/mswin10faq.html
- Ensure that any essential applications you are currently using are supported or a compatible version is available for the newer OS.
- All ITS-supported applications and web applications work on Windows 10.
- For ITS-supported applications and web applications on Windows 10, see https://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1647
Peripheral Device Compatibility
- Some older peripheral devices, such as printers, scanners, external hard drives, optical drives, etc. may not be compatible with the newer OS. Check with the device vendor's website for compatibility information for Windows 10. If compatible drivers are needed but not available to use Windows 10, you may need to purchase new peripheral devices.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the ITS Help Desk at (808) 956-8883, toll free at (800) 558-2669, or email email@example.com.
For Windows licensing questions, contact the ITS Site License Office at (808) 956-2404 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.