How do I protect my computer from Malware?
The first thing you must do is build a defense against malware by installing Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software and keep it up to date Anti-Spyware Solution for Your PC. Also, use a personal firewall to block unwanted connections to your computer when connected to the Internet. This Ask Us article explains Personal Firewalls. Keep your computers operating system and software up to date with the latest patches. The rest is up to you to use safe Internet browsing practices.
Safe browsing practices:
• Use strong passwords
• Never store logon information
• Keep your web browser up to date
• If you provide personal information:
• Make sure the site is legitimate and trustworthy
• Verify the site is encrypting your information (HTTPS) at the beginning of the URL
• Clear your cookies and cache refer to Ask Us articles Cookies & Cache
• Do not click on links unless you know they are legitimate
• Be wary of Internet downloads, innocent looking software or streaming media could contain malicious malware
• Do not click on links or attachments in e-mails unless you can verify its authenticity
The University of Hawaii (UH) Information Technology Services (ITS) provides software, services, and technical support to protect the UH community against computer viruses and security threats. Refer to the Ask Us article Computer Virus and Threat Information for detailed installation information.
Please contact the ITS security team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or if you have any questions about the security of your personal information.
An archive of weekly ITS Security Tips is available at: http://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1359