Polycom RealPresence Desktop (RPD) is a powerful, enterprise-grade collaboration application that extends video communications beyond the typical conference room setting. RPD provides an alternative from a room based videoconferencing system. It allows users to download an application on a computer/laptop to participate in a video conferencing call between other RPD users and/or other standards-based video-enabled environments (such as room-based videoconferencing systems).ITS Academic Technologies manages RPD licenses for the University of Hawaii System. UH faculty and staff may request a temporary RPD Account to participate in a videoconference from his/her own compatible computer (see requirements below).
- Computer Hardware/Software Requirements
- Request An Account
- Conditions of Use
Computer Hardware/Software Requirements
- 7: 32-bit & 64-bit
- 8 & 8.1: Standard, Pro, and Enterprise 32-bit & 64-bit
- Mac OS X 10.7.x or higher
- 2.6 GHz Single Core processor or higher
- 4 GB of RAM
- 256 MB of Video Memory
- 200 MB Hard drive space
- Webcam (Integrated or external)
- Microphone (Integrated or external)
- Speakers (Integrated or external)
- Broadband Internet connection
Request An Account
- Service is free for UH faculty and staff for University of Hawaii business.
- Requestor must be a University of Hawaii faculty or staff.
- Requestor must submit an Desktop Videoconferencing Account Request Form at least two weeks prior to conference date.
- All contact information, for person(s) who will be connected using RPD to connect to videoconference, must be provided on the request form. This will allow ITS to contact person(s) with instructions to download, install and connect software and test connection.
- Scheduling assistance, please contact the Scheduling Hotline at (808) 956-2724 or email@example.com
- ITS will contact each person(s) with instructions on how to conduct a connection test.
- Test must be conducted at least three business days prior to event and with exact computer and exact location that will be used during the actual event.
- Instructions will be provided to each participant on how to connect to actual videoconference event and how to send content (e.g. PowerPoint slides).
- Upon completion of connection test, Requestor will receive a confirmation email notification.
Conditions of Use
- Must be a University of Hawaii faculty or staff to request a RPD account.
- RPD is available for ad hoc UH business such as administrative meetings, interviews, research collaborations, office hours, tutoring, advising, outside class group work. It is not recommended for instructional/distance learning delivery.
- Student requests must be facilitated through the student’s UH advisor or UH program department.
- Requests for guest lecturing for an outside institution must be sponsored through your UH department, otherwise charges will be incurred.
- Requests for non-UH business, such as job interviews, will incur charges.
- Do not use Wi-Fi connection to computer. Please use physical network cable to Internet.
- This service is not for use in combination with any webconferencing tools or proprietary videoconferencing tools such as Halawai, Blackboard Collaborate, Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Microsoft Lync, Google+, iChat, etc.
- RPD is standards-based and interoperable with most other H.323 standards-based devices (Tandberg, LifeSize, Polycom, etc.) and the ITS Cloud-based videoconference solution (See: Cloud-based Videoconferencing)
- Account will be deactivated once the videoconference session is completed.
- To cancel request, a minimum of 24 hours notice is required.
- UH departments/divisions may lease RPD license(s) for long-term use. $120/academic year/license. For more information, please contact Academic Technologies at (808) 956-2724 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For non-UH business usage fee: $14.00/hour per account.