Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is this service for?
- Who is providing this service?
- How does this service relate to other existing services?
- Do you provide tutorials on PHP or MySQL?
- What are the technical details?
- What are the minimum qualifications?
- Why would I want this service?
- How do I apply?
Who is this service for? This service is made available to recognized University of Hawaii departments and staff offices with well-defined projects that clearly serve the University of Hawaii community. The service is open to units from all 10 campuses of the University of Hawaii System.
Who is providing this service? The Information Technology Services (ITS) department, a UH System office, is providing this service.
How does this service relate to other existing services? Existing services provide self-managed, static web pages. This service complements existing services by providing departments and staff offices a means to develop and deploy dynamic web pages. Sites are deployed within and integrate seemlessly with the existing University of Hawaii web space. At some point, this service may replace the various existing services to provide a more robust, secure means to develop sites at UH.
Do you provide tutorials on PHP or MySQL? No. To qualify for this service, you must have in-house staff capable of working with PHP and MySQL. We provide sample code and some best-practice guidelines to help your team get started, but we provide no tutorials or support for learning these technologies.
What are the technical details?
The service's technology infrastructure includes:
- Apache web server (2.2.15)
- PHP scripting (5.3.3)
- MySQL database server (5.5.35-enterprise-commercial-advanced-log)
- phpMyAdmin 4.0.9
Features of this service include:
- Secure FTP access
- Seemless integration into UH webspace
- Weekly backups
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Clearly defined project Your project must be clearly defined and relevant to the University community and have lasting value. General development, course-related work, and other non-business related work is not supported.
- Part of an officially recognized UH unit Your department or staff office must be officially recognized by the University. Temporary organizations, non-registered RIOs, and non-University groups may not apply.
- Executive sponsor An executive sponsor must approve your request for participation. For departmental websites the executive sponsor would be the department chair. From staff offices the senior office administrator would be the executive sponsor. For specific programs and projects the principle investigator would be the executive sponsor.
- UH Username Only University faculty or staff may request to participate in this service. We require a personal UH Username to validate this affiliation.
- In-House PHP and MySQL Expertise You must have someone on your staff who can develop with PHP and MySQL. This service provides no support for learning PHP or MySQL and cannot respond to issues resulting from a lack of expertise. For this reason, we do not accept units without any in-house experience.
- Intended deployment within UH web space Your website URL must be part of the hawaii.edu name space.
Commercial applications are allowed only for official UH business. Departments must comply with all university policies and procedures regarding handling of sensitive information such as credit card numbers, personally identifiable information (PII) and PCI compliance. Policies/procedures include, but not limited to:
- No sensitive data We currently do not allow development of applications that store secure data such as social security numbers, personal health information, or classified data. Detail on sensitive information is covered under University of Hawaii Systemwide Executive Policy E.2.214.
Why would I want this service? This service provides a hardware/software platform upon which to develop and deploy dynamic web content, and to collect and store data for subsequent reporting needs. The cost, including staffing costs, of the infrastructure and administration requirements for the hardware/software platform are absorbed centrally in order to provide economies of scale for UH.
How do I apply? If you meet the minimum requirements listed above, please click on the "Application Form" link in the side menu. You will be presented with an online application form. Fill out the form as instructed, and fill out the technical questions to the best of your availability. Not all technical questions may apply to your website request. Once you submit the form, your application will be entered into our database and will be considered on a first come, first serve basis. You will have a response within 5 working days.