Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is this service for?
- Who is providing this service?
- How does this service relate to other existing services?
- Do you provide tutorials on PHP or MySQL?
- What are the technical details?
- What are the minimum qualifications?
- Am I allowed to use a content management system (e.g. WordPress, Drupal)?
- Why would I want this service?
- How do I apply?
The original intent of this free service is to provide basic web hosting for departmental websites. Any research project that requires more than what can be provided under this service should consider the use of the ITS VMware service at https://www.hawaii.edu/its/datacenter/services.php?cat=dc.
The service's technology infrastructure includes:
- Apache web server (2.2.15)
- PHP scripting (5.3.3)
- MySQL database server (5.5.54-enterprise-commercial-advanced-log)
- phpMyAdmin 4.0.9
Features of this service include:
- Secure FTP access
- Seemless integration into UH webspace
- Weekly backups
- Clearly defined project Your project must be clearly defined and relevant to the University community and have lasting value. General development, course-related work, and other non-business related work is not supported.
- Part of an officially recognized UH unit Your department or staff office must be officially recognized by the University. Temporary organizations, non-registered RIOs, and non-University groups may not apply.
- Executive sponsor An executive sponsor must approve your request for participation. For departmental websites the executive sponsor would be the department chair. From staff offices the senior office administrator would be the executive sponsor. For specific programs and projects the principle investigator would be the executive sponsor.
- UH Username Only University faculty or staff may request to participate in this service. We require a personal UH Username to validate this affiliation.
- In-House PHP and MySQL Expertise You must have someone on your staff who can develop with PHP and MySQL. This service provides no support for learning PHP or MySQL and cannot respond to issues resulting from a lack of expertise. For this reason, we do not accept units without any in-house experience.
- Intended deployment within UH web space Your website URL must be part of the hawaii.edu name space.
Commercial applications are allowed only for official UH business. Departments must comply with all university policies and procedures regarding handling of sensitive information such as credit card numbers, personally identifiable information (PII) and PCI compliance. Policies/procedures include, but not limited to:
- No sensitive data We currently do not allow development of applications that store secure data such as social security numbers, personal health information, or classified data. Detail on sensitive information is covered under University of Hawaii Systemwide Executive Policy E.2.214.
ITS Supported Version
ITS will be responsible for updating the WordPress version including default themes and available plugins. If you choose to use your custom theme, you will be responsible maintaining your WordPress theme. Information on our WordPress service can be found at: http://blog.hawaii.edu.
ITS will be responsible for updating Drupal core including default themes and available modules. If you choose to use your own custom themes and modules, you will be responsible for maintaining these custom components. Information on our Drupal service can be found at: http://www.hawaii.edu/its/drupal.
Managing Your Own Installation
By choosing this option, you are able to have full control over your CMS compatible with our technical details. Therefore, you will be responsible for manually installing the CMS, and ensuring its core/version and components are up-to-date. Your department is always required to have a dedicated technically knowledgeable website administrator on hand to address any technical issues with the website. At no time will ITS maintain the CMS because the department cannot provide its own website administrator.
ITS will be running frequent scans for any vulnerabilities on any CMS installed under our hosting service. If your website is compromised the first time for failure to maintain your CMS, your website will be quarantined (pulled from public viewing) and you will be issued a first warning. A second violation will result in a ban from UH Hosting Website Services for a 6-month period. A third violation will result a permanent ban from UH Hosting Website Services.