The Genteel Sabai » Auditions
Be part of the Indonesian Randai dance-drama production of the Department of Theatre and Dance! A unique opportunity to study with master teachers from West Sumatra, Indonesia.
The play: A daughter seeks revenge for the murder of her father in this exciting folk dance-drama. Randai comes from the Minangkabau ethic group in Sumatra, Indonesia, and features beautiful traditional music and singing, martial arts, dance and acting; and its signature pants-slapping percussion!
Artistic StaffDirector: Kirstin Pauka, Professor of Theatre
Guest Teachers: Musra Dahrizal and Jasrial Jamaluddin, master artists from West Sumatra, Indonesia
Audition InformationAuditions will be held Thursday and Friday, Sept 22 and 23, 5-8 PM (KT Substage Studio) for a cast of Actors, Singers/Musicians, and Dancers. (Callbacks: TBA)
- 1 Female Principle Role (Sabai, who also gets to fight)
- 2 Female Supporting Roles (Mother and Matchmaker)
- 5 Male Supporting Roles (Father, Younger Brother, Evil King, two body guards - all fighting roles)
- 10-12 galombang dancers (includes fighting sequences and tapuak pants slapping). Dancers can also be actors.
- 4-6 musicians / 3 singers
Rehearsals will begin Oct 3.
General rehearsal schedule during Oct. and Nov.: M/W/F 7-10 for galombang dance; T/Th 7-10 pm acting scenes, with additional afternoon or Saturday or Sunday rehearsals for fighting scenes (exact times TBD). (Some early rehearsal schedule flexibility, but all cast members needed for all rehearsals after Nov. 15).
Performance dates: February 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12>
Audition Preparation InformationNOTE: Scripts will be available for checkout in the Kennedy Theatre main (after August 22) and will also be made available online. Please contact Kirstin Pauka for details.
What to prepare for Auditions:
- Dance: We will group people into a small galombang circle for the dance auditions. You will be expected to show material learned in class so far (THEA 426), including pants slapping.
- Acting: you should present a prepared monologue of your choice and be ready to read from sample monologues from the play based on the provided choices. (These will be available online. Please contact Kirstin Pauka for details.
- Musicians: will be cast from the music class participants and interested community members.