Moniz & Slaughter Receive 2018-19 H.W. Wilson Scholarships

The LIS Program is pleased to announce that Hauʻolihiwahiwa Moniz and Stefannye Slaughter were selected as recipients of the H.W. Wilson Scholarship for academic year 2018-19. The scholarship is generously funded by the H.W. Wilson Foundation.

Both recipients shared the following about themselves with the LIS Program:

Hauʻolihiwahiwa Moniz:

As a native Hawaiian scholar, I am passionate about advocating for the inclusion of Hawaiian perspectives and practices within the information field. This passion has encouraged me to research and develop traditionally-based, Hawaiian methodological approaches to collection management policies, Librarianship and culturally-specific community programming. I am also incredibly passionate about the development and implementation of cultural competency standards for information professionals working in or with indigenous collections, materials and communities.

This scholarship will truly make a substantial difference in my time here at the University of Hawaiʻi. Specifically, it will allow me to develop more practices and approaches within the information profession that will advocate for the inclusion of and value in Hawaiian perspectives and ways of knowing.

Stefannye Slaughter:

My journey into librarianship started when I was eight years old and a family friend who was a public librarian told me that I would be a librarian one day. I didn’t believe her at the time, but I do now and I’m happy to say that she has been instrumental in my education. The defining moment for me was when I was sitting in the Seal Beach Public Library in Seal Beach, California and I watched a librarian spend 15 minutes helping an older gentleman find a newspaper article he had read about a shuttle service for seniors undergoing surgery. That was the moment I realized how much librarians can impact the lives of their patrons.

I would like to say thank you to the H.W. Wilson Foundation, this scholarship is allowing me to scale back on how much I have to work next semester, allowing me to spend more time on my studies.