Congratulations to the HLA 2020 Scholarship Winners!

Congratulations to LIS student Minyoung Chung and LIS alumna Gailyn Bopp, winners of this year’s Hawaii Library Association Student and Professional Scholarships! This announcement would normally be made at the HLA Spring Meeting, but due to COVID-19 concerns, this year HLA has opted to share a short bio and information about the award for each recipient online:

Student Scholarship: Minyoung Chung – awarded $1,000.00 and a one year membership to HLA for free.

During my undergraduate studies, I majored in both psychology and library information science at the Ewha Woman’s University in South Korea. Through the Korea Foundation, I completed a fellowship at the Center for Korean Studies at UH Mānoa in 2018. Currently, I am in my second semester in the LIS program at UH Mānoa with a focus in academic/archival tracks and now I am doing an internship with the Government documents collection. As a member of HLA, I recently presented about the North Korean Collection at UH Mānoa at the recent HLA conference in Kauai. I am now working on a North Korean special collections project to increase accessibility by putting them into an institutional repository. I believe the way in which records are preserved, searched for, used, shared and published shapes our memory of the dynamics of culture and history. I am passionate about ensuring the accessibility to materials, service, and community to help create a diverse environment of information with responsibility and ethics of care.

Professional Scholarship: Gailyn Bopp – awarded $499 to attend the Exhibits Fundamentals online course through the Northern States Conservation Center, from October 5 to November 13, 2020.

Gailyn Bopp works as Associate Archivist for the BYU-Hawai`i JFS Library Archives & Special Collections, and as Assistant Professor of Theatre in the BYUH Faculty of Language, Culture, and the Performing Arts.  She is a proud alumna of the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa LIS program, graduating with a certificate in Archival Studies.  Gailyn enjoys theatrical performance, exhibit curation, and traditional Hawaiian craft.  She currently serves as President-elect of the Association of Hawai`i Archivists.

Congratulations to both Minyoung and Gailyn. We’re so proud of both of you!