Aloha and welcome to the LIS Program! We hope you enjoy learning about our program and all we have to offer. If you have any questions about admissions, please call 808-956-7321 or send email to LISinfo@hawaii.edu.
- Undergraduate Degree
- A (four-year) bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in any major. There are no course prerequisites to enter the LIS Program as long as the applicant has a bachelor’s degree.
- Scholastic Ability
- Evidence of above average scholastic ability and promise for successful graduate study, shown by graduation with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Professional Promise
- Evidence of professional promise as shown in two recommendations submitted via the UH Mānoa MLISc Recommendation Form [see How to Apply]. Supplemental letters of reference that expand upon the information provided in the Recommendation Form are appreciated, but not required.
- Graduate Record Examination
- While the GRE is no longer required, it is recommended for those applicants who are returning to academia after an extended absence, for those students who graduated from a non-traditional university that did not issue grades that use a 4-point GPA scale, or those students with a borderline GPA.
- International Students
- International applicants should carefully review the language proficiency requirements on the International Admissions page at the UH Mānoa Office of Graduate Education website.
Students are expected to have basic computer literacy. When applying, if your academic transcript or resume does not indicate any computer-related coursework or work experience, please indicate in your Statement of Objectives what you have done to fulfill this requirement. Examples might include attending technology workshops, training or non-credit coursework.
A brief list of desired computer skills and resources has been compiled here: