Location: Kaimuki Public Library
1041 Koko Head Ave. Honolulu, HI 96816
Supervisor: Melissa LePage, Jeffrey Eldredge
Description of library
We are a large and busy regional public library with five librarians; Juvenile, Young Adult, two Adult Reference, and an Adult/Hawaiian. We have an excellent collection of 120,000 items for a multicultural and diverse patron base—especially since we are the only library in town open on Sundays. We also service many public and private schools in the area. Our public children’s storytime is every Sunday at 10:30am; school storytimes and booktalks are held daily weekday mornings and early afternoons.
Description of internship
The children’s services internship would focus on children’s library services, collection development (selection, ordering, and weeding), and children’s programming (storytimes, class visits, and possibly outreach). The intern would work 10-15 hours a week and be scheduled for some hours on the children’s/YA reference desk as well as the adult reference desk, after orientation and training.
LIS 601, 663
- LIS 605
- Interest in Children’s Library Services
- Ability to communicate with patrons of various ages, ethnic groups, and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Familiarity with Horizon iPAC (additional training will be provided)
- Flexible; prefer some Sunday hours.
- Library hours:
- Sun 10-5
- Mon & Tues 10-8
- Weds & Thurs 10-6
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
- Provide reference services to walk-in and telephone patrons of all ages
- Provide readers advisory for the target age
- Successfully conduct searches using our Horizon database.
- Instruct patrons in the use of the Public Access Catalog and other electronic databases available at the library
- Conduct a pre-school storytime and craft and/or class storytime or booktalk
- Assist in collection development-selecting materials for the collection and/or weeding part of the collection
- Informal feedback on a weekly basis to clarify expectations and evaluate progress.
- Written evaluation using LIS 690 Student Evaluation Form
- Weekly oral dialogue
- Written evaluation – midterm and final