Location: Kalihi-Palama Public Library
Supervisor: Marcia Nakama
Description of library
Kalihi-Palama Public Library services an area of which spans from Kalihi Valley to Sand Island, east to Palama and west to Fort Shafter. Schools include Farrington H.S. and Kamehameha Schools. The collection includes 64,000 volumes and reflects the needs of the community.
Description of internship
- Provide general reference and reader’s advisory, which includes teaching the public to independently search the public access catalog and Internet.
- Assist Library Assistants in basic circulation services.
- Select an area in the collection (adult, young adult, juvenile or reference) to analyze and evaluate for currency and scope.
- Assist Librarian in purchasing material for collection development in the area evaluated.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Able to handle several tasks at once on a busy desk
- Desire to learn the operations of a medium-sized public library
- Any advanced LIS reference courses
- Internet experience
Flexible. During open hours:
Mon. and Wed.: 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Tues., Thurs., and Fri.: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
Intern will have basic reference and circulation skills and experience in collection development and planning programs for the community.
At the start of the internship, the intern and supervisor will create specific goals and timelines for the semester. Throughout the semester, the intern and supervisor will meet weekly to evaluate his/her progress. At the end of the semester, successful completion of the internship will be determined by met and unmet goals and intern’s and supervisor’s evaluation of work.