Description of library
The internship is based in a large and busy urban public library with reference desks on each of its two floors. The collection of 100,000 items is housed in a building of 16,500 square feet. The community is diverse and multicultural, with a wide range of educational backgrounds. The largest Korean-language collection in the public library system is located at this library.
The staff is comprised of twenty employees, including four librarians. The library has a strong volunteer base and a very supportive Friends group.
Description of internship
A student’s internship at McCully-Moiliili Public Library can include training and experience in the following professional areas:
- Reference services for all ages
- Readers Advisory for all ages
- Practical application of the Dewey Decimal System
- Training and experience with the Horizon Automated Circulation System
- Program planning and execution
- Good language and social skills
- Interest in public libraries
- Basic reference skills
- Familiarity with Internet
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
Flexible, but interns should be able to work at least part of two Saturdays each month.
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
Students will become familiar with reference sources and services basic to a large public library. The expected outcome will be the provision of quick and accurate solutions to library user’s needs. The student should emerge from the internship with a solid basis of public library philosophy and practical operations.
Students are formally evaluated mid-way through the semester, and at its end. The librarians who work with the intern will provide training, support, and informal feedback throughout the internship.