Location: 4055 Papu Circle, Honolulu, HI 96816
Supervisor: Maja Clark
Description of the library/collection
The Shangri La Historical Archives, approx. 115 linear feet, primarily contains records associated with the construction and preservation of the site and collections during Doris Duke’s life (1912-1993). It is currently being processed by consulting archivist Dawn Sueoka, MLISc, CA, under the direction of Collections Manager Maja Clark. Shangri La’s holdings also include the institutional archives of the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art, documenting the activities of the museum since it opened in 2002.
Description of internship
Intern will work closely with Clark and Sueoka to digitize historical photographs and other archival materials. Intern will then create catalog entries in The Museum System, a museum cataloging database software for both digitized historical archival materials and institutional archival materials. Intern will also participate in meetings to further develop Shangri La’s historical and institutional archives’ policies and procedures.
Required pre-requisite courses
One or more of the following:
- LIS 615 Collection Management
- LIS 619 Preservation Management
- LIS 620 Conservation of Library and Archival Materials
- LIS 652 Introduction to Archival Management
- LIS 653 Seminar in Archival Studies
Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail; experience with and willingness to learn new computer software; experience with digital photography, scanning and uploading files
To be determined.
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
- Gain basic understanding of working with historical archives materials, including: Arrangement and description; rehousing/preservation needs; digitization; creation of finding aids
- Gain experience working with museum cataloging software tailored to archival materials content and description; gain experience in determining essential metadata for digitized historical records; setting priorities
Periodic meetings to evaluate progress; approval of intern’s final work product, which will include:
- Creation of digital versions of historical photographs; creation of catalog entries with linked images of historical photographs entered in museum cataloging software
- Summary report of work completed
Weekly informal meetings; reviews at midpoint and end of internship