Location: UHM-Hamilton & Sinclair Libraries: Access Services
Supervisor: Ruth Marie Quirk
Description of library/collection
The Access Services Department is responsible for providing access to the collections housed in Hamilton and/or Sinclair Libraries and does so by administering the following organizational and functional units: Circulation, Microforms & Current Periodical s, Interlibrary Loan & External Services, and Stacks Maintenance.
Description of internship
Internship will provide a broad view of Access Services, but may be tailored to the student’s specific Access Services area of interest (e.g., ILL and document delivery, including fee-based/cost-recovery services; Circulation, including training, customer service, course reserves, AV/multimedia circulation, management; creating reports from the integrated library system (ILS) and statistical analysis; etc).
- LIS 601: Intro to Reference Info Services
- At least one semester of LIS coursework.
Able to work independently with minimal supervision; able to perform work accurately.
Flexible, but should average 10 hours per week, with a minimum of 2 hours per session.
Learning/experiential goals or work outcomes expected
- To gain practical experience in the development and implementation of Circulation policies and procedures.
- To develop marketable Interlibrary Loan skills using document suppliers and OCLC.
- To prepare and analyze statistical reports on library usage.
A written evaluation will be given using the standard LIS 690 evaluation form and a feedback session will be scheduled with the intern and supervising librarians.
One evaluation will be completed at the end of the semester.