- 45-045 Kamehameha Hwy., Kaneohe, HI, 96744
This internship will introduce students to the tasks and duties found in a small academic library. It requires a diversity of skills as the duties and experiences will be varied and will include opportunities in:
- Reference Service
- Collection Development
- Information Literacy
- Library Instruction
- Online Databases
One of two libraries at Hawaii Pacific University, Atherton Library is located on the Hawaii Loa campus (HLC), Kaneohe, HI. There is a large Nursing/Science population at the Hawaii Loa campus. The library also contains a substantial general collection including the Hawaiian-Pacific Collection as well as the resources supporting the Military Campus Programs for the HPU Libraries.
- LIS 601 Introduction to Reference and Information Services
- Willingness to learn all aspects of library work
- Familiarity with online databases
- Desire to help students with information needs.
Schedule will be determined jointly by the student and the reference librarian(s).
Goals and Outcomes
Ability to confidently handle the daily duties of a library professional including:
- Establishing and maintaining working relationships.
- Identifying and analyzing problems.
- Searching online databases.
- Planning and/or providing library instruction.
- Reference work.
Intern is expected to provide input as to what their goal(s) are and what they hope to accomplish.
Intern will be evaluated using the LIS intern form in the following areas: willingness to learn, reliability, ability to complete tasks and assignments in an efficient and timely manner, ability to communicate effectively, ability to conduct self in a poised and professional manner. Interns will be expected to demonstrate progressive knowledge and skill over the course of the semester.
Intern will receive ongoing feedback throughout the internship. A formal written evaluation will be provided at the end of the semester.
- Nori Leong
- (808) 236-3527